Central Vac for shop?

When I run my dust collection lines, it'll be only a little more effort to run a smaller line (1 1/2" maybe 2") next to it for a vacuum. Dust collectors aren't really good at vacuum tasks, and the sanders seem to prefer vacuums.
I've got a Ridgid WD1450 that would probably be used to power this, but might consider something else if the pricing makes sense.
Does this seem like a good idea, or would the piping restrictions make the system worthless?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper says...

Not really a lot of point to it if you have a dust collector. Use a 2- 1/2 inch adapter and it will take vacuum cleaner hose and accessories and mine picks up just fine. Of course I overkilled it a bit . . .
Won't hurt though. I'd run 2-1/2 inch pipe, same size as a standard shop vac hose.
Dunno where people get the idea that dust collectors aren't good at vacuum tasks. With a 25 amp 220v induction motor doing the sucking mine does "vacuum tasks" better than my "6 peak horsepower" shop vac ever did. I know all the crap about volume vs velocity. In the real world it doesn't make much difference.
I agree that there is no point to it.
I have a vac system and it is piped to every tool. It works on all tools except for table saw and miter saw (RIP).
I built a modified Thiene (sp?) collector.
I don't see a need for you to do both. Your DC should be fine.
I did add my own self cleaning blast gates and also build my own switches so when I open a gate it fires the Vac. Man did this help out.
On 4/13/2012 6:49 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

On 4/13/2012 3:03 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I run my 4" DC hose to my 12" disk sander. OSSander, router table and the other big stuff. I have no issues with containing dust from the sanders. And rather than drag any vac hose to take care of the floors I sweep with a 18" wide broom and suck up the pile with the 4" DC hose.
I am not sure why you would have or would be having a problem with using a DC to collect sander dust unless you have decreased effinency with too many sharp turns in you system. I personally strictly use a 30 foot 4" flex hose, that's it.
On 4/13/2012 5:17 AM, Leon wrote:

Not to belabor the issue, Leon, but I was under the impression that you used Festool's infamous dust "extractors". ;-)
Max
On 4/13/2012 9:54 AM, Max wrote:

Only attached to Festool power tools, not bench top or stationary tools.
On 4/13/2012 12:56 PM, Leon wrote:

And works absolutely great for my Kreg pocket hole jig, as well as my PC 557 (which you would expect, being Domino like).
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/13/2012 1:07 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yeah that too.... Now what is a PC 557? I have one, I just don't use it.
On 4/13/2012 1:51 PM, Leon wrote:

There's this thing called eBay. It's where you can sell your old stuff to make money to buy new stuff.
On 4/13/2012 3:30 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
On 4/13/2012 3:32 PM, Leon wrote:

It's also rip-off city...
On 4/13/2012 3:51 PM, Richard wrote:

Perhaps, but I've never had that be an issue...I've bought stuff from a 40-ft JLG manlift for $5k to antique glass balls to replace broken ones on the old lightning rods on the barn to as trivial a thing as a "just cute" curlicue door/gate handle for $2.
Basically all I have done to avoid trouble is to check that the seller has a good reputation and not expect miracles for bargains (and ask specific questions on larger things like the lift).
Not to say they're aren't sharks in the waters and charlatans that'll take you if you give them a chance, but that's so even in a brick 'n mortar store on occasion and certainly if indiscriminate online.
On 4/13/2012 3:32 PM, Leon wrote:

:-)
On 4/13/2012 1:03 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I think it's a great idea. A DC of any size will do a fine job on a reduced sized line.
Our old friends have a good solution...
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pb597&cat=1,42401&ap=1
I have on many occasions really hating dragging a big ass shop vac all over the shop, when with a little plumbing, that problem could be easily fixed. I have a VERY large DC that has plenty of power to handle almost any length run. I just need to get in there and start plumbing.

Is that a _real_ grounding kit I saw hiding in there?
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck