Central Machinery table saw?

When I looked at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%68783780&category 810
the price was $40 with no bids and less than one day on the auction. It would seem that the 2hp motor alone would be worth considerably more than $40. What gives? Do they have a huge 'handling' fee?
Thanks for the insight.
-Phil Crow
Several reasons it's so cheap. Auction is terrible and lacks a decent description, it's a generic saw sold under a low-end importer's brand, it's missing parts, and you'd have to be in the area to make it worthwhile without shipping.
GTO(John)

And nowhere does he state that the motor works. Or even turns freely by hand. His "warrantee" pretty much says it all.
Art

On 3 Nov 2003 14:59:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Phil Crow) wrote:

That's those itty-bitty shetland horsepower ? That motor looks like a one horse with an optimistic rating plate. It also doesn't look like a TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled), which is pretty much entry-level for a decent saw.
So if it's on your doorstep, drive over and pick up a bargain. But personally I don't bid on things weighing over a couple of pounds that don't list shipping costs. Got stung once, for three times the price of the item - turned out the guy was in Thailand !

Looks a little scary. Does the motor run? No fence, no blade insert, one wing missing, freight to go it home, unless you are close enough to drive it. To many questions for a saw you can get delivered to your door for less than $340 new! I would pass, seems everyone is! Greg

Looks a little scary. Does the motor run? No fence, no blade insert, one wing missing, freight to go it home, unless you are close enough to drive it. To many questions for a saw you can get delivered to your door for less than $340 new! I would pass, seems everyone is! Greg
Geez, goofy computers/servers,whatever! I sent the first post yesterday, but it did not show tonight, so I resent it. I check two minutes later and they are BOTH here! Greg
says...

Second message probably pushed the second one out of the pipe in which it was stuck. ;-)

FWIW, despite being dated a more than a day earlier, your 1st copy was seen by the newsserver I use less than 20 minutes before the 2nd one.
It can take a few minutes for a message to actually be accepted by the server, after you 'send' it,
I'm guessing you may have disconnected 'too soon', after writing the 1st message, and it finally went through when you reconnected.
Greg O wrote:

Well, just to satisfy everyone's curiosity...I'm the one who bought it!
I called the guy...he said the motor runs fine. The place is only 15 minutes from me...so pickup is no problem. I don't need a TS, just a 2HP motor to build a cyclone dust collector. $40 is not a bad price.
I'll likely take the rest of the saw to our local woodworkers tool auction later this month...with a starting bid of $1. If it doesn't sell, it'll go to the dump. But I'll bet it sells for at least $10...which gets me a 2hp motor for $30.
My thanks go out to Phil for posting it!
Chris
--
Chris Merrill

Well there you go! I suppose it is not too bad of a price for a motor, but Harbor Freight has a two HP motor, regular price $59, with free freight, I wonder if it was worth the rouble! $20 more would have got you a new motor, with warranty, delivered to your door. Greg
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:57:49 GMT, Chris Merrill

I used my old delta tablesaw to mount my grinders and jigs on. the motor was burt so i removed all the mechanics and drillled the top and taped the holes. my wet grinder is on one side and the slow speed grinder on the other. mounted the wolverine jig also. makes a real nice sharpening setup. skeez
I've never seen a dual voltage motor that really produced 2 hp, especially with an automotive style v-belt. Maybe its one of those old "peak horsepower" ratings.
Bob