Centipede Sawhorse!

Page 1 of 3
http://centipedetool.com/centipede-portable-work-system/
So I picked up one of these yesterday and can't wait to use it. I've seen this product on the internet and have really wanted to try one, but didn't want to pay the 80 bucks everyone was asking for it, especially without getting my hands on it first.
I walk into Home Depot and there it is for $50, so I bit. It's remarkably simple to set up, use, and tear down. It comes in a carry bag, so it's perfect for me to throw in the van.
I love it so far and can't wait to put it through some real world testing.
--

-MIKE-

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 7:24:38 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

For the extra $30, it will neigh for you.

Whinny do you plan to try it out?
Sonny
On 11/15/15 8:42 PM, Sonny wrote:

Probably this week.
--

-MIKE-

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 8:24:38 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Here's my concern:
When I watch a manufacturer's video or commercial and something jumps out at me that seems kind of strange, I often wonder "Why would the manufacturer use those words or show that process?" Allow me to explain.
At 1:15 of the video on the website, the "professional contractor" tells us that he's had the work table "for about 15 minutes now" followed by "I can cut repetitious pieces on this all day long." The "all day long" is said with emphasis.
I would find it tough to make such a claim after having a product for only "15 minutes". Had the "contractor" used a more reasonable time frame (all morning, 4 hours, a few hours, etc.) it wouldn't have jumped out at me like "about 15 minutes" did.
Assuming the manufacturer wanted to be 100% honest, could it have hurt to wait a few hours and then record the contractor's testimonial? If they wanted to "lie" they could have easily had him say "a few hours". I wouldn't even have blinked an eye. The mere fact that they allowed "about 15 minutes" to be used makes we wonder about their other claims.
Do they really expect consumers to say "Wow, he's happy after using it for 15 minutes. That's good enough for me, I buying one!"
On 11/16/2015 8:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Experience will often let you know immediately if something is useful after just a few seconds of use ... IOW, a professional "gut feeling". ;)
Let me put it this way for you. I've worked on enough job sites, and spent lot$ of time on/setting up a decent work table solution for just my part of the job, to plunk $50 down on just the appearance of the portable, cost effective solution this appears to be.
Hell, for $50 I'll buy one for every job, and dumpster it at the end, if it only lasts that long ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I hear you Karl. I thought it looked good too. I see only two downsides. 1) It would need a fairly level surface to use it on. 2) You could not do any pounding with a hammer or whatever on it. Those are minor things that are easily set off by the sheer use and utility of something like this.
I probably would not need something like this very often. But I could have really used something like this at least 3 or 4 times in the last two months. I am just a guy who works around the house. Anybody who was very busy or worked on jobsites could really use something like this. The genius of it this product, as far as I am concerned, is that it folds up into a neat little package that can be stored and transported easily.
When you see all kinds of gimmicks and junk out there, it is nice to see something that looks like it actually serves a legitimate purpose. And for the price, even if it does not last very long, it would be well worth it for the sheer convenience and time savings. Particularly for sheet goods.
And Hey! As a musician, you are a master of "gut feelings"! ;-)
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 2:31:42 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com w rote:

ve

Similarly as I at the farm... no decent saw horses, often poor work areas. I've turned the 6' step ladder on its side (triangle shaped) for a sheet- good support & work surface, wobbles like hell. I hate working on the gro und or on low surfaces, as the tipped ladder.
I may visit HD and checkem out.
Sonny

Those sheet metal collapsable sheet metal saw horses Menards carries are really a good deal, especially on sale. They last quite nicely and fold up into a space about 6x6x36. You may want to put a board on top, but they've drilled holes to make that easy.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 11/16/2015 6:04 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

My Dad had a set of those 60 years ago. I don't know who made them but they were light, easy to set up and took up almost no room, perhaps less room than the centipede. The legs quickly fold up into the head and you could toss them in the back of a truck.
This centipede looks like it will hold plenty of weight, but doesn't look like it would take much lateral force w/o wobbling? Looking at a few videos, I hadn't noticed any of them grabbing an edge and giving it a good shake. That I would have to see, or do before buying.
Also, it looks like a 4x8 just barely fits along the edges, so any movement and it would be off the edge. The 2x4 without center legs, this would be a particularly bad situation.
As far as easy set up and tear down, if it must go in a bag, that would be a pia if you ask me. I'd rather have some sort of belt to hold it together so it doesn't spread out when you toss it in the truck.
Myself, I made my own fold up horses that are a little heavy, and bigger than than the steel fold ups, but the cross piece is just a 2x4, or 2x6 that you can cut through and replace, which is nice. I hang them on the side of my shed with a french cleat.
http://jbstein.com/Flick/SH1050406.JPG
http://jbstein.com/Flick/SH1050408.JPG
http://jbstein.com/Flick/SH1050410.JPG
These get very little use, and always at home, so size and weight is a non-issue for me. More important to me is I made them. I like using stuff I make. If a were toting them around every day making a living, I think I would get the Minards folding metal ones, but would take a look at the centipede.
--
Jack
On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 12:06:10 PM UTC-6, Jack wrote:

Fully open, it's very stable. I doubt anyone from HD or Lowes would object to opening one up and give it an in-store test. Have someone open it in the ply department and toss a sheet on top. .... no more inconvenient than having all those lumber carts in the aisles.

It comes with a carry bag.
Sonny
On 11/16/2015 3:44 PM, Sonny wrote:

Have a $100 HD gift certificate, and $146 store return ... know now where part of it is going.
My HD has 5 in stock, but would prefer to find the larger 4x8 model.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/16/2015 6:49 PM, Swingman wrote:

I was thinking along the same lines but...
1) the 2x4 is all that HD carries
2) Their price for the 2x4 is ~ $20 cheaper for the same thing through Amazon Prime with free shipping
3) Two of the 2x4 from HD MIGHT work out to be better than a single 4x8 from anywhere else.
4) Financially, HD is the winner as I believe you can get three of the 2x4 for less than one of the 4x8
5) as I ponder this immensely complex issue, I suspect that having three of the 2x4 may be much better than a single 4 x8. At least for how I'm thinking of putting it to use here.
Just my $ 0.02

Not above giving that a try. Besides, work surfaces, particularly on a job site, are like clamps ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Maybe but still half the size of a 4x8.

It would take 4, 2x4 to equal a 4x8. But that might be more useable. Just keep in mind that the smaller one is 1/4 the size of the larger one.

Leon wrote:

2'x4' is one-quarter the size of 4'x8'.

Bill wrote:

Oh, I see you were referring to *two* of them. Got it.

On 11/16/2015 10:45 PM, Bill wrote:

;~) And now I see you correction. LOL
On 11/16/15 10:43 PM, Bill wrote:

Exactly. Which is why Karl said 2 of those would be half of the 4x8. :-D
--

-MIKE-

On 11/16/2015 10:47 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I think it was me, Karl's brother, that said that. LOL
On 11/17/15 8:40 AM, Leon wrote:

You Texans all look alike.
--

-MIKE-