Cedar Post vs Cedar Boards

Just learning about wood and enjoying it quite a bit so far. I think one rule of thumb that I have learned is that laminating boards to get larger dimensions is ok.

I'm building a pretty nice mailbox and need a 4x4 cedar post for the above ground part of the post. I'm having trouble finding the post in my area so I'm just going to glue (titebond 3 waterproof) four 1 inch cedar boards together to get my post.

Two questions:

Is it a general rule of thumb that gluing up thinner dimensions of wood is not a problem? When would it be a problem?

The mailbox plans call for a pressure treated post in the ground and a cedar post above ground. All surfaces will be painted. I assume that cedar is used because it will have a nicer finish than pressure treated pine even when painted. Does that sound like the reason cedar is used?

Thanks

Ken

Reply to
Ken

cedar is bug and rot resistant (not rot proof)...cedar has a nicer appearance and can be sealed clear or with tint..

Reply to
Chris Carruth

Ken wrote: > Just learning about wood and enjoying it quite a bit so far. > I think one rule of thumb that I have learned is that > laminating boards to get larger dimensions is ok. >

For outdoor work I'd use epoxy.

If you truly want a full 4x4 that will be truly square, laminate say

5x5 minimum and then trim to size.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett