Cedar Post vs Cedar Boards

Just learning about wood and enjoying it quite a bit so far. I think one rule of thumb that I have learned is that laminating boards to get larger dimensions is ok.
I'm building a pretty nice mailbox and need a 4x4 cedar post for the above ground part of the post. I'm having trouble finding the post in my area so I'm just going to glue (titebond 3 waterproof) four 1 inch cedar boards together to get my post.
Two questions:
Is it a general rule of thumb that gluing up thinner dimensions of wood is not a problem? When would it be a problem?
The mailbox plans call for a pressure treated post in the ground and a cedar post above ground. All surfaces will be painted. I assume that cedar is used because it will have a nicer finish than pressure treated pine even when painted. Does that sound like the reason cedar is used?
Thanks
Ken

cedar is bug and rot resistant (not rot proof)...cedar has a nicer appearance and can be sealed clear or with tint..
Ken wrote: > Just learning about wood and enjoying it quite a bit so far. > I think one rule of thumb that I have learned is that > laminating boards to get larger dimensions is ok. > > I'm building a pretty nice mailbox and need a 4x4 cedar > post for the above ground part of the post. I'm having > trouble finding the post in my area so I'm just going to > glue (titebond 3 waterproof) four 1 inch cedar > boards together to get my post.
For outdoor work I'd use epoxy.
If you truly want a full 4x4 that will be truly square, laminate say 5x5 minimum and then trim to size.
Lew