cedar joists?

K. Chugh asks:

Couple starter questions: what kind of cedar; how large a shed; how large ( length, width, thickness) will the joists be; how are your kids going to get under the shed to mess with PT joists?

I don't know of any span tables for Eastern red cedar, but it is stronger than MOST other American cedars (not all, but it is readily available, etc.). It is still quite weak.

Or are you writing of ceiling joists? Same story there, of course, except that there is no need for PT or cedar unless the ceiling is rather poor.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

hi- i am building a small shed and don't want to use pressure treated wood for the joists, as they will be close to the ground and i don't want my kids to be around them. if i use cedar joists on cinder blocks will they hold up for a reasonable amount of time?

thanks, kevin

Reply to
K. Chugh

Wise move. I'd go with larch (because it's local) or eastern red cedar. I'd avoid western red cedar. The US Gov forest products handbook (which is downloadable) has more strength information than you're likely to ever want.

Andy Dingley

If close to the ground is an issue, I'd prefer the cedar to the larch - better rot resistance and insect resistance.

My garage has WRC joists - on a 50+ year old house. Lovely red colour overhead.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I think the original post was inquiring about "floor" joists.

Reply to
Leon

I do not recommend cedar if it will be in a wet condition or in contact with the ground. It will rot in those conditions. I am currently building a storage building with PT lumber and while I do not have any young kids around, I am going to cover all the exposed PT lumber with Hardi Plank siding. You might consider the same tactic.

Reply to
Leon

Use the pressure treated lumber. It will be hard for the kids to come into contact with it since it will be covered with the floor.

Besides, cedar is just not appr>

Cedar will be either 2nd growth and not very long lasting, bug resistant or strong or old growth and you will have to sell the kids to afford it;>(

Best compromise is to use pt wood and wrap the perimeter with a skirt board over the pt. Once the wood is in place out of the elements it's pretty stable. Of more concern is the sawdust and scraps from construction. You might have the pt joists pre cut to length at the lumber yard and just nail on site.

Mike

Reply to
Mike