CD Holder Strips

I've searched google and what not and it seems the only one that I could pull up was from Rockler (not cheap either) ...what I"m looking for are these cd holder strips...I"m gonna make the cabinet but need these things...anyone have some other source for these..here's a link on what I'm looking for...thanks in advance for the replys

Tina

Did a similar search a few months ago and came up mostly dry, I think woodworkers supply had some that were variable spacing. You could put the plastic spacers where you wanted them. I believe they were cheaper in the long haul.

Alan

Reply to
arw01

Reply to
Pat Barber

Just got some from lee valley

went to the search and typed CD Holder -- they have a few options.

Reply to
WillR

Thanks for all that replied....this helps alot

T> > I've searched google and what not and it seems the only one that I could

Tina

I tried 3 different types from WW Hardware and I like the product number T4196 the best.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

And let us know how it works out...

Have fun!

Reply to
WillR

I've got to build a tall cd/dvd cabinet for x-mass for my sister and brother inlaw...you should see there collection ....enormous...all he said was make it tall....so I got alot to think about so I'm looking into the parts for now...haven't even designed anything like this before...should be interesting...thanks for all the replies again...more options...I like that...

T> > Thanks for all that replied....this helps alot

Reply to
Tina

>> Tina

Try Outwater Plastics:

have a huge selection of items.

Reply to
Phil

I built a tall CD/DVD cabinet a few years ago. It held 550 CD's and somewhere around 75 DVD's. I'll see if I can post a picture to A.B.P.W.

Basically it was a shallow cabinet (the depth of a shelf was about 3/4" less than the depth of a CD), 7'10" tall with shelves dado'ed into the sides every cd height + .5" or so. The bottom two shelves were sized for video cassettes, but DVD's fit just fine. The width of each shelf was enough to store 50 single jewel boxes side by side.

11 shelves for CD's yields 550 capacity. Damn thing is full, I regret putting the DVD shelves in, could have had another 150 disk capacity.

Because the CD hangs out in front of the shelf by about 3/4 inch, it is easy to grasp and remove a single CD. Plus, they're stored vertically (the preferred orientation). Height challenged individuals do need a step stool to reach the top shelves. Holder strips aren't necessary and just take up valuable shelf space.

Sides and shelves were 3/4" oak plywood with oak face strips and the back was 1/4" oak plywood. Finish was a tung/spar/turps wiping blend topped with paste-wax.

In earthquake county it must be fastened to the wall, on carpet too, due to its shallow base.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Check Woodcraft. I'm sure I've seen a number of different styles in their catalog.

Reply to
woodworker88

I really appreciate all the replies...and choices...made my looking much easier...

Tina

Reply to
Tina

Snip

This was my thought. I built one out of popular ply sounds very much like scott's. You will only get about half the capacity if you use the CD racks. mark

Reply to
MarkS

Agreed, but if the racks are visible most of the time, they can contribute in a large way to the visual appeal of the entire unit. If that's not a concern, then why is the unit being built in the first place when some stacked plastic milk crates can accomplish the same thing? Don't know about anyone else, but I'm conceited enough to admit that I like to get compliments on what I build.

Reply to
Upscale

What I know about data storage is that discs (and tapes) should be stored on edge, rather than flat. This minimizes deforming the disc. Now whether this is enough to make a difference, not sure. I keep my CDs in drawers, standing on edge, where I can flip through them. I use different drawers and hardboard separators for organization. The case I use used to be an old wooden 5-drawer cabinet that I restored and made it into a 4-drawer case. The sides of the drawers are low (and original), but I made new drawer fronts. It was converted to hold floppy diskettes, but CDs (and DVDs) fit just right.

Reply to
Phisherman