Caution on Grizzly G0500 Jointer

Just a caution on the Grizzly G0500 Jointer. I have had mine for about 6 months and about a month ago I started hearing a sound that sounded like bad bearings in the cutterhead. I played around with it and, in the process of taking off the belts, discovered that the pulley on the cutterhead shaft was loose. Seems the set screws had backed out. I tightened them down and she runs as good as new.

Montyhp

Reply to
Montyhp

good job. Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Monty

Had the same exact same experience with the Delta. In the process of tearing it apart to fix it, I came to the conclusion that the Delta assembly instructions had to be wrong. They clearly had the lower pulley assembled "hub out" which made it nearly impossible to get a good belt alignment since the motor shaft wasn't long enough to accomodate that. I guess the "iffy" aligmment had a lot to do with the set screws being able to move. I put it back together with "hub in" (it made much more sense that way which I thought 2 years ago when I first set it up but who was I to argue with Delta). Gave it the full tune-up except for new knives (which have been "on-order" for a month now...guess somebody in Taiwan is swimming them over) at the same time and it runs the best it ever has.

I posted a note to Delta and got a reply to call them. Will do that tomorrow to make sure reversing the hub doesn't hurt anything (can't imagine it makes any difference stress wise).

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

================================ You Should apply your experience to ANY new piece of equiptment... 6 months of usage can cause a lot of screws etc back out.... I usually set up a tool use it a few weeks then go back over it... then repeat.. in a few months..

As Another hobby I restore cars.... Tell you what...The first year I put one on the road is spent driving, checking, etc...my torque wrench gets a workout... FUN HOWEVER !

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

Do you have a speciality, like Chevy muscle cars '68-72?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

my son, with a very little help from me, just rebuilt an 87 monte carlo ss..... just got it back from the trans shop... runs well and will scream down any hiway..... i am sure the cops have him listed....

Reply to
WARRENRN1