Case of the overgrown insert?

Page 3 of 3

nope

You mean the air within the insert perimeter is shrinking with the cold, and the metal around it is expanding to make up the difference?

The metal wouldn't be expanding.

Exactly my point. So if all of the metal around the hole is shrinking, why is the hole getting smaller? The shrinkage takes place in the cast iron, right?
RicodJour wrote:

Yup. As the cast iron shrinks, every atom gets a little closer to every other atom - and that includes the atoms around (and on opposite sides of) the hole.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
RicodJour wrote:

Like so you mean we should be cooling those bearings to help get them off a shaft like getting bigger, like... :)
RicodJour wrote:

Beats me. I had a brass ring that got smaller when I heated it. Or did it get bigger? No, smaller...I wanted it bigger and it wouldn't do what I wanted. My brass and OP's saw are in the twilight zone :)
--

dadiOH