Case of the overgrown insert?

Anyone have a clue why a zero-clearance insert would suddenly grow too big to fit in the table? The insert I use for dadoing no longer fits the saw opening. I grabbed an unused, though otherwise identical insert, and it fits just like it was meant to. I ended up making another dado insert, wasting a $20 blank. :-( These blanks were from Woodcraft, BTW.

Reply to
krw

Don't have a clue, but why not spend a little time with a file or some sandpaper and rework till it fits?

BTW, cold day in hell when I'd spend $5, much less $20 for a T/S insert.

At least not as along as I had 1/4 hardboard scraps, double back tape, a router and some C-Clamps.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The edge isn't just MDF. Not sure what it is but it's sorta rubbery, I guess to keep it in the table. It seems like it's now at least a

1/16th too long.

They were on sale. They're now $24.95 in their catalog. ;-)

When I get time in the shop I'd rather make something more interesting than a table saw insert. Getting them to fit well takes time I'd rather spend doing something else.

Reply to
krw

Like fiddling with a store bought insert that doesn't fit?

RicodJour

*wiping monitor*
Reply to
Robatoy

It certainly *DID* fit. It wouldn't have had the dado silhouette in it if it hadn't. It's brother still fit.

Reply to
krw

I don't understand. Making inserts is not a big deal and it doesn't take a lot of time. A router, a template, zip zip zip. And there wouldn't be any question of the thing growing or shrinking. Like Lew said, the double stick tape makes knocking them out trivial. Five or six at a time. What's that in store bought dollars?

In any event I have no idea what happened to your insert unless you got it wet. Contact Woodgraft...errr, Woodcraft and express your disappointment. They'll probably send you a new one.

RicodJour

Does the router template add the thickness adjustment screws? What's an hour of my free time worth?

It is in the garage but hasn't been near any water. Good suggestion, though. I'll send Woodcraft a note. I looked at it again this evening (thought I might have gotten the tab hung up underneath, or something) and yep, it's abut 1/16" long. The other fits in there like it was supposed to. They've been sitting on the same shelf next to each other since I last used the dado insert.

Reply to
krw

I'm guessing your tablesaw shrunk. That's what happens when you wash it in hot water. Next time, use the cold setting.

Reply to
upscale

Just out of interest's sake, what's the popular method for getting those inserts to sit level with the tablesaw top? My danged tablesaw insert cavity has a certain depth that defies my finding some wood or other material making insert construction easy.

Reply to
upscale

I use 1/2" ply and thread 4 allen head set-screws into it over each saw table leveling boss. A 3/8" brass rod out the rear hooks the sawtop lip to prevent the blade from lifting the insert and throwing it through the wall. Inexpensive saws may not have leveling bosses (i.e. Delta 32-600 and some Craftsman).

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Just slightly undersized holes and the allen screws create their own thread as they're inserted?

My table saw leveling bosses are about 3/8" in depth. I suppose that would be enough thread for allen screws to grab.

Reply to
upscale

I simply used 4, 3/8" long #6 flat head screws. They will screw flush on the bottom side if needed. and no pre drilling needed. Because they never needed to be readjusted being on the bottom side is not really a draw back.

Reply to
Leon

I don't use anything but a zero clearance insert I made and don't find this to be a problem. I epoxied washers in place. There's no stress on 'em - just trying to keep them from sliding. After that the inserts are all uniform.

RicodJour

snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote: ...

Ayup...

Ayup...

:)

Reply to
dpb

I'm with you.

I browse through the wood working catalogs and am amazed by the number of things for sale - and which, apparently, are frequently purchased - which anyone could easily make for themselves.

Reply to
dadiOH

Did your saw get really, really, *REALLY* cold? :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I do the same except with 1/2" Lexan.

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Wouldn't the insert hole get bigger if the saw got cold?

RicodJour

Think "pucker" as most holes do when it gets cold. :)

Reply to
upscale