carving out a seat - techical name?

What is the technique called when you carve out a seat to fit your butt? Is their an easier way other than carving it out by hand, say maybe a router? any links? Thanks

Reply to
joe

The "butt cut"? The calculations would be the "bum sum". In France it might be the "derriere tear"?

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

I think it's called "scorping" and I've never seen it done anyway other than by hand with a scorping knife...kinda like a drawknife, but with a curve to it.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

The only word I can think of is "buttinskyism".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I've see it done with angle grinder attachments. Take a look at the "Kutzall Grinding Disks" and the "Lancelot Woodcarving Tool" at:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

The correct term is saddling. Yes, you can use a side grinder with a Kutzall dish which comes in three grits. By hand usually means to adze it out. Then you could use a scorp, a travisher or a compass plane to finish it. M. Dunbar's books on Windsor chairs explains this in detail as does The Chairmaker's Workshop by Drew Langsner. You can also check out their web sites.

Reply to
Brent Beal

An inshave could be used for this type of carving. Here's a link to one.

Upscale

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 03:47:01 GMT, bonomi@c-ns. (Robert Bonomi) pixelated:

Go forth and thin no more, Bobby. I've heard the terms shaping, sculpting, and saddling used. I like saddling. It's a visual word.

Butt carvin' lessons are here:

an adze, scorp, curved drawknife, gouges, or a 4" angle grinder with a Lancelot (chain saw) or Arbortec (carbide tipped disc) bit on it.

---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==--

- Schnazzy Tees online

Larry Jaques

Sun, Sep 21, 2003, 1:36am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (joe) wants to know: What is the technique called when you carve out a seat to fit your butt? Is their an easier way other than carving it out by hand, say maybe a router? any links?

Called a lot of things, seems to depend on where you're located.

Easier? Yeah. Don't carve.

Yeah, you can use a pattern, and rout it. Plenty of books show how to do that. Check your local library. Don't know if it's easier, but once you're set up, probably faster, and consistent.

Personally, I think it's done for looks, not comfort. If you want comfort, use a pad.

I didn't check. Try google.

JOAT The whole of life is a learning process.

- John Keel

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 20 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

I've made several chair seats with a router mounted on a swing arm. The seat was screwed from below to the workbench. The router was mounted in a hole in the center of to a 8"x8" x 3/4" plywood. This plywood base had two boards side screwed, which extended up to a cross bolt which was was then attached to another vertical board which was screwed (use only 1 screw as a pivot) to an overhead cabinet. You end up with a left and right swinging motion and a in/out swing. You would cut one "cheek" at a time. I'm guessing the upper board was

16" and the boards on each side of the router base were 12". Thier lengths will the determine the oval pattern.

Let us know how it turns out.

Good Luck Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Hawes