Carter Electronic Tension Gauge?

Just how hard is it on the fingers to "pluck" bandsaw blades??
My fingers hurt just to think about it.

Psst. Do it from the backside - that's the edge without the teeth. :-)
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:18:53 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

maybe you get a band saw blade pick?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"mac davis" wrote

Stainless steel pick?

It shouldn't be running, silly!

Goin' from memory - which is fair warning - the Iturra catalog walks thru an example of using once. Seems to me it was a Lenox (Lennox?) blade that he wanted to tension to the mfg'rs specifications.

Here's why: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00013.asp
And, if you're a metalworker as well, a hydraulic alternative: (Near bottom of page) http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/jun02/jun02.html
I like this one: No squinting at a dusty fiber washer (Delta), and you know you have the right tension, instead of hoping the spring is still good. I have the convave cut problem with thick material, and have been investigating blade tension measurement systems.
Good answer and good article, Doug. I still dont' think I'll pay the money for something like this, but I have a better idea why someone with more stringent requirements than myself might want one.
Mike
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

it looks like a good idea, but adding a $200 accessory to my $300 BS would seem like taking a gold fish to the vet...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

*gaSP* You'd just let it swim in circles with a broken fin? You would??

only after giving it lots of room to swim... (flushing it)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Itura has a tension measuring device similar to the Lennox shown in the Lonnie Bird article referenced elsewhere in this thread. Price is around $140 US.
Suffolk suggests using The Flutter Method. Open up the throat to max blade exposure, move the blade guides back away from the blade and put enough tension on the blade so it won't spin off the wheels. Turn on the saw. If the blade's under tensioned it will flutter. If no fluttering then back off the tension 'til fluttering begins then add tension 'til the fluttering stops. If you start with fluttering, add tension until it stop.
Repeating - you need to start with enough tension to keep the blade on the wheels!
And BTW - check the weld before using any blade. A bad weld that lets loose with the saw running will a) accordian an amazing length of band in the blade guard and b) necessitate a shorts change (DAMHIKT).
charlie b