Carter/Canwood Tension Lever

Has anyone had the spring on their tension lever pull it's rivots out? I went cheap with a Canwood copy of the Carter tension lever. They do appear identical, including the way this little leaf spring is fastened to the lever. I'm just trying to decide whether to buy the Carter or try having the spring welded to the arm. Thanks.
I haven't seen this device so I don't know the construction but if you weld (or braze) directly to the spring it will draw the temper and it will no longer be a spring, just a piece of metal.