Carrying plywood with small car

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know of any tricks or accessories for transporting sheets of plywood with a small car? I have not been able to find a roof rack for my car (94 Toyota Celica). Does anyone know of any aftermarket racks or any other method for transporting plywood?
Thanks.
On 4 Jan 2004 11:39:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (pduck) wrote:

Rent the "Load 'n Go" at your local BORG by the hour.
A small trailer. My 4x8 was $385, plus $25 for a two year reg, and $12 a year for property tax. Smaller, lighter trailers are even cheaper at places like Harbor Freight. The tow vehicle's insurance covers the trailer in my state. ANYTHING would tow easily tow my trailer. It actually carries sheet goods better than any of the small pickups I've owned, and has provisions to run long boards right up the tongue.
Have it delivered.
Barry

I agree with Barry. The borg pickups are a good deal ($20 or something like that). A small trailer is a good deal too, assuming you can put a hitch on a Celica. Harbor Freight has a cute little one that's 4x4 but both the front and rear gates fold down to make a 4x8 surface.
A bunch of plywood on the roof of your car that's not properly secured can tear off in in the windstream. DAMHIKT.
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:50:53 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Nick
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:49:27 -0600, Nick

1.) Big Orange Retail Giant (Home Depot) - can also be Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc...
2.) The big cube from Star Trek that is essentially unstoppable. The BORG assimilate all in their path to become stronger, just like the retail practices of HD, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc...
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:39:18 -0800, pduck wrote:

Why risk damage to the car, wood or an accident?
Rent a trailer or borrow a pickup or have the yard deliver.
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I use four of the foam canoe blocks (high density foam the size of a brick) on my '93 Nissan Sentra.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Dave,
That brings back memories of hauling lumber on our 90 Tercel. I just used some scraps of foam insulation. Had to drive slowly on the 15 miles of highway to the cabin so I'd pull over onto the shoulder when I saw someone behind me. I recall a semi passing me and displaying a light show on the back of his trailor as he passed me. That was a nice thank you. Made it easier to rip by hand some 8' cedar boards that afternoon.
--
Al K

"Dave Balderstone" < snipped-for-privacy@NOSOCKS.balderstone.ca> wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:27:54 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Dave, I have the same problem with my 91' Celica and plan to order the Harbor Freight trailer #90154 for about $199 and a drawtite class I trailer hitch #24596. Kevin posted great pictures of this foldable trailer. All I have to do is work out the electrical hookup. Seems the best way to go.
Andy
Ok, I've gotta ask you this Andy. I have a tough time keeping up with all the posts here, but if I don't get to them in a week there is too much new stuff to read so I completely ignore posts over a week old. Dave's note was posted on Jan 4, over a month before you replied! How in the world do you read posts? Do you have a months worth of unread notes? Do you only read them every couple of months? Do you save notes you want to reply to, but haven't gotten around to it yet? I'm just curious.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Andy" < snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net> wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:20:45 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"

Hello Larry, no I don't keep posts for months on end but I just re-installed Agent Newsreader on my system and apparently Prodigy does keep month old news as I found this post when I did a refresh groups list. Didn't see the original date of the post until later but I just happened on the topic and I gave it a try as the trailer issue is something I am trying to do now. I agree about the volume of posts here and I don't usually look back this far; but you can use the "find" function to locate posts you are interested in. I any event, even the "old" replies were helpful to me.
Andy
On 4 Jan 2004 11:39:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (pduck) wrote:

I do this all the time. It takes careful planning and using a handsaw in the parking lot. On rare occasions I can persuade a friend who has a truck (fill the tank and take him out to dinner), other times I just rent a truck for a day. I have a Honda Civic 1300 hatchback.
pduck wrote:

Here's an example of how _not_ to do it: <http://www.snopes.com/photos/lumber.asp .
Steve

Even when I am in my pickup, I usually have the store employees make the first cut for me if practical. It is just so much easier to handle that way.
Montyhp

On 4 Jan 2004 11:39:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (pduck) wrote:

An old rug to protect the car top roof, a few hanks of rope to hold the sheets down, and reasonable caution while driving.
If you must drive 70 mph on the Interstate then rent something suitable.
On 4 Jan 2004 11:39:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (pduck) wrote:

If you can get someone else to go with you just lay it across the roof and each of you grab the edge with your outside hand. That way you can use your right hand to steer - and then even if you have a stick, the passenger can shift with their left while you work the pedals.
This works excellently for mattresses as well. damhikt.
JP
I've a PU to carry mine. I've a small 2 piece affair for hauling a row boat around on your rooftop that would probably work nicely. It consists of 4 mounts that clamped onto your rain gutters with a 6' wide piece of oak running crossways thru a rectangular bracket at the top of the mount. I hauled our 12' aluminum boat from Seattle to Albuquerque with it and to a lot of lakes over the years so I know it'll easily hold a sheet of plywood etc if you keep your speed down. Hzaaving said all that, a small trailer really is the best option. Funny how you find how useful they are once you have one.
pduck wrote:

Get a trailer.
I just started using one last fall and love it.
http://members.cox.net/kmcgirl/KJM%20Trailer.htm
I rent a pickup truck from Home Depot if I have to. But I find that there tends to be a long waiting list for pickup truck in weekend afternoon (all the DIY people like me come to Home Depot on the same day). One time I waited for a couple hours before finally got it at 7pm or so. You may want to check your local home center to see what day of the week is best for renting a truck.
To avoid this trouble and expense, I always ask the home center people to cut the board into manageable pieces.
I doubt that they will cut the board into small pieces that can fit into a small car (mine is a SUV) though. You "may" need to get a DC-to-AC inverter to power a circuit saw and cut the board yourself in the parking lot. I don't know if the battery in a car is powerful enough for this task, and I don't know if the home center allows people to create saw dust in the parking lot. I am still thinking about this idea. Does anyone have any input on this idea? Thanks.
Jay Chan