Carpet Thresholds

My wife and I have just bought a house and there are no thresholds between the carpeting and the tiled areas. We would like to put wooden ones in. Does anyone have any plans for these or has anyone done anything like this before? I have gone to Home Depot and Lowes looking for examples and have struck out so far. Any help is appreciated.
Daniel-Adrienne Fischer wrote:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cda/article_print/0,1983,HGTV_3712_1376151_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html
Dave

I only make these on site when I am connecting to an oversized tile.
You can buy all sizes you need at a good wood flooring supply store.
If you cannot find what you want, make a profile on a suitable piece of hardwood that you like, one that you will see and walk on when installed. Apply stain as needed and finish with a few coats of poly.
Dado out a receiver on the tile side to sit on top of your tile to cover that edge. I glue mine down with poly glue in a tube and put something heavy on it for 24 hours to let it set up and cure.
Robert

I thought for a moment you were channelling JOAT... ;-)
Patriarch

attachment for carpet. Of course, you install this piece while you are installing the tile. I don't know if there is something similar which is suitable for your situation. Jim

When we put in our "floating" floor, I had a 13.5' run between carpet and floor. At the price of the commercial plastic product, I took out some red oak, ripped to an inch and a half wide, rabbeted for carpet and tack strip on one side (3/8x3/8?) , floor on the other (3/8x1/2), then chamfered both upper edges to avoid catching shoes. Nine years and counting.
Worked as well for the kitchen transition where it was vinyl at the time.

My wife is always pleased when these sorts of things happen during home improvement projects. It's amazing what one person, with thousands of dollars of tooling can accomplish. ;-)
Where do people imagine items like this grow, anyway?
Patriarch, whose wife approves, primarily because it makes me happier, rather than any rational economic justification...
Thanks for all the help. I think that I now what I need to do, however one question. I'm figuring that I need to keep the carpet all the way up to the tile. There is a tack strip just at the trasition edge. The tacks that come up to the that point are securing the carpet. Any thoughts on securing the transition strip to the carpet side. I was may be thinking pre drilling small holes and then securing with screws into the tack strip and filling in the holes with wood putty, sanding and then finishing.

I kept the floor back far enough so that I could secure through the top of my "T" shape directly to the underlayment.
Daniel-Adrienne Fischer wrote:

A couple years ago we tiled an upstairs bathroom, and (eventually) installed an Oak threshold strip where the tile met the carpet.
We used brass screws to hold it down, leaving them exposed. The brass works well with the oak.

Daniel-Adrienne Fischer wrote:

I think it is just as simple to "make up" a nice profile.
I did that here...
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/productsbusiness/productsinteriortrim.html
It was all ugly burgundy carpet before -- now It's oak, ceramic, brass and oak transition strips with new laminate flooring...
Putting in Berber didn't hurt either...
Just keep the exposed part as "low" as possible.
The BORG does have strips -- they worked in some rooms. However, the "home made" stuff looks better.
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:57:14 -0400, the blithe spirit WillR

Stained and polyed oak, of course? </cheap shot>
Hey, what's the story on that unusual hall table. The top looks as if it folds out. What braces it and what's it for, Giggles?
--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
Larry Jaques wrote:

Sewing machine silly. My wife bought it.