Carpet Thresholds

My wife and I have just bought a house and there are no thresholds between the carpeting and the tiled areas. We would like to put wooden ones in. Does anyone have any plans for these or has anyone done anything like this before? I have gone to Home Depot and Lowes looking for examples and have struck out so far. Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Daniel-Adrienne Fischer

hehe, plans?? don't you mean "transition strip"?

David

Reply to
nailshooter41

There is a strip of metal that you install under the tile which has an attachment for carpet. Of course, you install this piece while you are installing the tile. I don't know if there is something similar which is suitable for your situation. Jim

Reply to
Jim

When we put in our "floating" floor, I had a 13.5' run between carpet and floor. At the price of the commercial plastic product, I took out some red oak, ripped to an inch and a half wide, rabbeted for carpet and tack strip on one side (3/8x3/8?) , floor on the other (3/8x1/2), then chamfered both upper edges to avoid catching shoes. Nine years and counting.

Worked as well for the kitchen transition where it was vinyl at the time.

Reply to
George

David wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I thought for a moment you were channelling JOAT... ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

"George" wrote in news:43121a69 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

My wife is always pleased when these sorts of things happen during home improvement projects. It's amazing what one person, with thousands of dollars of tooling can accomplish. ;-)

Where do people imagine items like this grow, anyway?

Patriarch, whose wife approves, primarily because it makes me happier, rather than any rational economic justification...

Reply to
Patriarch

Thanks for all the help. I think that I now what I need to do, however one question. I'm figuring that I need to keep the carpet all the way up to the tile. There is a tack strip just at the trasition edge. The tacks that come up to the that point are securing the carpet. Any thoughts on securing the transition strip to the carpet side. I was may be thinking pre drilling small holes and then securing with screws into the tack strip and filling in the holes with wood putty, sanding and then finishing.

Reply to
Daniel-Adrienne Fischer

I kept the floor back far enough so that I could secure through the top of my "T" shape directly to the underlayment.

Reply to
George

A couple years ago we tiled an upstairs bathroom, and (eventually) installed an Oak threshold strip where the tile met the carpet.

We used brass screws to hold it down, leaving them exposed. The brass works well with the oak.

Reply to
Nobody_special

I think it is just as simple to "make up" a nice profile.

I did that here...

was all ugly burgundy carpet before -- now It's oak, ceramic, brass=20 and oak transition strips with new laminate flooring...

Putting in Berber didn't hurt either...

Just keep the exposed part as "low" as possible.

The BORG does have strips -- they worked in some rooms. However, the=20 "home made" stuff looks better.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:57:14 -0400, the blithe spirit WillR clearly indicated:

Stained and polyed oak, of course?

Hey, what's the story on that unusual hall table. The top looks as if it folds out. What braces it and what's it for, Giggles?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sewing machine silly. My wife bought it.