Carpentry work just two weeks ago

Page 2 of 2
On 01/15/2010 06:35 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I truly appreciate everyones well wishes.
He was taken out by a series of strokes and bad heart rythm in just a few days, he recovered enough early this morning to insist that no rescuitation be done should he get worse, he was ready and the family abided by his wishes. Yea, I'll miss him but that makes it easier.
basilisk
On 1/15/2010 8:23 PM, basilisk wrote:

Re-posted in honor of both of our grandfathers:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/89e7682cb91bda13/a7cdcd3fe1a0f824?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=a+gloat+of+magical+proportions+group:rec.woodworking+insubject:magical+author:swingman#a7cdcd3fe1a0f824
or:
http://tinyurl.com/ygtmm8k
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Excellent, both then and now. That was back when I first followed the Wreck, before the break. Did you ever make plans from those pieces. (I asked back then, too.)
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Sorry for your loss, but that is the way to go rather than spending years in a nursing home. WW
the NEW, win7 stuff does not have drivers available for earlier operating systems - so you DO need to be wary of driver availability.

That's not the way I want to go, I saw my father-in-law take 8 months to die, little by little bit, in a nursing home. We tried to care for him in our home over a weekend. Just about killed our backs lifting him up from bed so he could go to the bathroom. We just couldn't do it for more than the weekend. Now I am in my 70th year, and hope that I go fast. Fast is hard on the survivors but at least it is over and done without guilt and remorse.
"EXT" wrote:

Nursing facilities use what I laughingly call an electrically operated "jib crane", to lift people either from or back into bed.
Not something you are likely to have at home.
Lew
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:40:12 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Up here in Canuck land, many facilities use a device called a Hoyer lift. Various models are available with a sling lift. It actually works quite well, as long as it's charged up. Not really all that expensive either relatively speaking.
The used it for me this past pre Christmas season until I got enough strength back in my legs. They're also available for rent and well within the purview of the home user.
http://www.phc-online.com/Portable_Hoyer_Lift_p/hoy_advance.htm

------------------------------ Same widget.
Lew
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:40:12 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

My HF 1T crane is _just_like_ those, but not nearly as fancy as a Liko or Hoyer. It's far cheaper, tho. <titter>
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
EXT wrote:

It took SWMBO over a year to recover from a ruptured disc from "helping" her mom out of her wheel chair. And there were trained staff at the nursing home to help. Sometimes instinct is harmful.
nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com:
My condolences as well. What a great guy!
--
Best regards
Han

Our condolences. However, it sounds like your grandfather lived life to the end. He, and your family are fortunate for that.
All four of our parents spent months, even years in nursing care and that can be tough on everyone.
RonB

My condolences, at least he had a good innings.
Rgds, Phil.
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:53:23 -0600, the infamous basilisk

Condolences, basilisk. I hope you got to visit with him in his latter days. I got to say goodbye to my dad the day before he died. That really helps when you lose someone.
90 and building a house. Wonderful! May we all be as lucky.
Celebrate his life!
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

I suspect that his perscription was to work himself to death, rather than sit back and watch life pass you by and waste away.
basilisk wrote:

Condolences; prayers for your family in their loss. Sounds like he had a good life and was able to do what he wanted to be doing throughout -- that's a blessing.

Rob Leatham