Carpentry work just two weeks ago

Page 1 of 2
The world is short one of the good ones today, My last grandad died this morning.
He was 90 and 2 weeks ago he was building an addition on my uncles house.
basilisk

My condolences.
Both my grampas were carpenters/woodworkers. The last one to go rebuilt his 2 car garage after a fire destroyed it. He was 88, died at 99.
On 1/15/2010 1:53 PM, basilisk wrote:

Sorry to hear that...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

My condolences. It's especially hard to lose a relative you really respect.

My heartfelt condolences. Sounds like he lived a full life.
What a way to go, though. Doing something useful and productive until your last days.
Looking at my parents, I'd take it.
Robert

---------------------------- How are things going Robert?
Lew

Thanks for asking, Lew. Not well sad to say.
My folks both took a bad turn, and about ten months ago I thought my mother died while I was holding her while waiting for EMS. She didn't.
A month later, my Dad had emergency surgery that began a incredible run of bad luck, including falling on the way to the bathroom and breaking his back in 3 places. Not good for an 84 year old.
He spent 8 months in the hospital and in rehab without seeing his house, and never thought that the last time he left there in the ambulance he would never live there again.
After months of intensive therapy (he really worked his ass off) he can now pull himself around in a wheelchair for short distances. His pencil thin arms don't have the strength or his hands the dexterity to move himself around too far without help, though. This is a sad state of affairs for someone that is entirely incontinent.
They are now both in an assisted living home. I supervise their medical care, their living budget, as well as their legal affairs. THOSE are things I never thought I would do, nor did I want to. I have a sister that lives here as well, and she has offered to help when she can, but it is difficult for her to take time from work to do so.
Both parents now wile away the hours in their room, watching TV and waiting for the next meal. No day is any different from the next, and watching them is like watching sand slip through an hour glass. Their days are so uneventful that they don't remember much of anything that happened to them just a day or two before. They are unhappy, depressed, and feel abandoned.
If there is a positive note on this, it makes me appreciate the fresh air, sunshine, rain, cold, and heat more every day.
I often wonder what my Dad would give to be able to hit his thumb with a hammer again or to get a sunburn.
Thanks for thinking of me, Lew.
Robert

I can relate.
My mother suffered a compound fracture of her lower leg at 102.
As the doctor said, "This will be a life changing experience." ---------------------------------------

Not good is an understatement. -------------------------------------------

Can relate, sold mom's place since it was wintertime in Northern Ohio, I lived 2,500 miles away and couldn't take care of the place. ------------------------------------------

That's good.
Mom wouldn't do therapy and she ended up bed ridden. ---------------------------------------------- This is a sad state

You are fortunate to have a safe facility available. --------------------------------------------
I supervise their

BTDT. ------------------------------------- I
Attitude is a tough thing.
My mother had an unbelieveable attitude; however, when she turned 103, it was as if she put one last hash mark on the wall and seemed to say, "I'm done".
She lasted less than 90 days. --------------------------------------------

I'm sure they would be happy knowing you are still able to learn from their experience. ------------------------------------------

LOL ------------------------------------- Just remember:
You wake up every morning, you feel those paddies hit the floor, and both lungs are working, you have a shot at a new day.
Everything else is bonus money.
Take care.
Lew
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 15:15:22 -0800 (PST), the infamous
following:

Robert, isn't there a way you could take him home (to your shop) for a day, or part of one? Figure out a small project he could do from a wheelchair and make it happen! He'd love it.
Perhaps ask your sister to do the same (shopping trip?) for your mom that same day, so they each had new stories to share when they got "home" that evening.
Just a thought.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

He doesn't have the dexterity to do much of anything anymore. For example, he told me that the women folk in our family had taken his pocket knives from him, and now wouldn't let him have one for fear he would cut himself. He raised me as he was raised, and that is with a pocket knife in my possession at 6. (Yes, I cut and stabbed myself a couple or three times, but he figured everyone he knew learned how to use a knife from that experience... I did!). So he took me aside when I asked him what he wanted for Christmas and told me he wanted a nice pocket knife. So I got him one. It was an easy pulling Stockman with no blade locks, and he couldn't get the knife blade open. Try as he could, he was humiliated that he couldn't get his fingernail into the nail nick, hold the knife, and get it open. Once he got his nail in the nick and got it partially open, he tore his nail off.
I know that hurt like hell, but nowhere near as much as the pain of that embarrassment.
Additionally, his incontinence requires additional nursing staff for cleaning after the the fact. He never knows when he will have a full load, or when his Foley bag will need emptying. Although I have cleaned him up more than once, he is uncomfortable being far away from his nurses and their care.

My Mom is still a delight, but if you have my Mom, you have to have my Dad. My <sister> can take her out for dinner or shopping, but if I do he won't talk to me for a month. Mom and me had some nice evenings when he was in the hospital as I could pick her up and take her out to eat (the more out of the way place the better), or bring over dinner and a DVD, and we could talk about old movies and stuff she and I both like. She is a very small rural town, and for her the simple pleasures are the best.
Unlike basilisk's people who are to be admired, mine have been rusting out for years. At this point, although I am in the middle of managing things they should have taken care of themselves years ago and have come to the conclusion they will just continue to rust out until they are finished.
Those were good thoughts, though.
Robert

Not the best thing to be thinking about, but do they both have advanced directives with do not resuscitate orders? If they don't, it might be nice for someone on the staff of the care home to discuss it with them.

My uncle, a dentist by trade was still enjoying woodworking / home repair up till he passed away at 101. He could put an arse back in a cat.
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 01:44:07 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"

I need to renew mine, and maybe get that DNR tatoo on my forearm.
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:57:33 -0800 (PST), the infamous
following:

OUCH!
Suckage.
Very cool.

I hope for an instant burnout someday vs. rotting in hell for years. My body and I have an agreement. I won't let them resuscitate me and it won't fight for a lost cause. I want to stay healthy, and if I can't have that, trade my body in for a new one, perhaps one with fewer karma points. ;)

I try! Well, just go love 'em!
--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

My condolences.
I met my Dad's dad only once that I remember; I was 5-6 yrs old. But I have some of his tools: a Bailey No. 5 and 12-1/2, some panel saws, some hammers, a few odds and ends.
And A Colt .44 DA.
-Zz

Ain't no school like the old school.
My grandpa was 96 when he passed, a no-kiddin cowboy and blacksmith. Bought some land, felled the trees, built a 2 story house from said trees. 60 years later the house needed some work on the foundation... after all that time it was within 1/8 on an inch of being dead on square.
Let's hope that those lessons live on in all of us so our kids stand a chance.

Sorry for your loss... Both of my grand fathers were gone before I was born. My mother's father built all of his houses, houses for his sisters and a small house for my mother.
"basilisk" wrote:

--------------------------------- I'm sure it is difficult for you and yours, but what a great way to cash in your chips.
Lew
My condolences, as well.
Folks as your grandfather are not just relatives and mentors, but cultural assets, also.
Sonny