Carpentry Need Help.

We have a two family house about 80 years old. 10 Miles West of Boston, Massachusetts. As usual in the center of the House [front to back] large 10 X 12 Beam with at least 4 steal columns to support the large beam. Up on the first floor level as you would walk in between the rooms [left side to right] that is, walking across the 10 X 12 Beam, Which it happens to be from the front Foyer (vestibule) to the Living room without any doors about 8 feet opening, there is a slight rise [noticeable] a hump on the floor, 10 feet down to the next room with a

3 feet opening without a door just as you would walk in to the Dining room there is a noticeable slight rise on the floor where the two rooms divide. My Question, how can we fix this problem? I appreciate any help given to us on this mater, and thanks in advance. Also don't hesitate to post you're answers here and send me an E-Mail snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Thanks, C Smith

Reply to
csmith96

Have no idea how to fix the problem if we don't know what's *causing* the problem. You have described a symptom. That sympton could probably be cause by a few things. How to fix depends what it is.

My advice is to poke around a little more. If you find nothing or don't know what you're looking at, find someone local to put a couple knowlegable eyeballs on the situation and give you his recommendations.

Also, alt.building.construction might be a better group for this question.

Good luck, Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

I would post this in alt.home.repair

Reply to
Frank Drackman

[...] there is a slight rise

I keep re-reading your post trying to identify something which might be described as a 'problem'.

Old buildings are often a bit wonky. It's part of their charm. If you thing this needs 'fixing' you should not be the owner of even an eighty year old house. Please do nothing at all.

tim W

Reply to
Tim W

While I agree with you generally, I think it's false to cast such a wide net when discussing "problems" in an old house.

Some problems are relatively minor and cosmetic and a PITA to "fix". Some may be indicative of something more major going on that does warrant concern. And some problems might be minor imperfections that can be "fixed" easily and painlessly just for the hell of it.

What's important is the CAUSE of the problem... and that's still undefined.

At any rate, "doing nothing" can also be considered an action, and I'd still suggest to the OP that before taking ANY action, including nothing, he might want to get a better idea of what is causing the bump/dip/swale/pimple or whatever it was.

In the end it could very well be that "doing nothing" was the wisest choice.

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Not mention that applying a "fix" to something like this from anonymous sources could seriously damage the structure of the home. Since your description is uninformed, even the most well-meaning poster could send you down a slippery slope. A tar paper _shack_ 10 miles west of Boston is worth a very pretty penny.

Have a reputable local contractor, or better yet, several _reputable_ contractors, LOOK at what you're talking about in person. For best results, find those who specialize in old homes and restoration, as opposed to someone who usually builds new home.

Chances are, a good contractor will tell you what the poster above did.

Reply to
Ba r r y

[...]

Yep, usenet is full of these idiots. Asking for help when they can't be bothered even to be clear about their needs. sometimes they don't even come back to see if they have a response. More fool me for replying.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

He posted separately there and in alt.home.repair as well. Someone please instruct him on how to crosspost, please.

RicodJour