Carpenters' Glue Solvent?

Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers? I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff. Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Depends on how dried out it is. Essentially, once it's fully cured there's nothing I know that will dissolve it--that's why real restorers don't use it on true antiques.
If it is just thickened, hot water...
On 11/9/10 2:16 PM, dpb wrote:

Not cured, just cottage cheese. Water... duh. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Add some small brads and shake it once in a while. Water alone won't really do it; not IME at least.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
-MIKE- wrote:

On 11/9/10 2:23 PM, Norvin Gordon wrote:

Man, was I complicating things. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

But the water may cost you more than a new bottle.
On 11/9/10 3:36 PM, HeyBub wrote:

No, they're about seven bucks and worth every penny.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004834/7831/GluBot-Glue-Bottle-16-Ounce.aspx
--

-MIKE-

Acetone.
On 11/9/10 4:47 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

The hot water is working for the goo. Acetone for hardened or goo?
--

-MIKE-

All of the above. PVA is soluble in acetone.
One reference I found via the google. http://www.museumservicescorporation.com/scat/b.html
On Nov 9, 6:09pm, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

That's more spam I will get. I keep using the wrong dam account. Dam you google!! (shakes fist) :^|
On 11/9/10 5:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Thanks, all. The acetone really loosens it up.
--

-MIKE-

For a good & cheap bottle I use mustard squeeze bottles.
Jerry
On 11/9/10 5:06 PM, Jerry - OHIO wrote:

I don't want good, cheap. :-) I want great and not cheap, which is why I'm not throwing away the bottle I have.
--

-MIKE-