Carpenters' Glue Solvent?

Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers? I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff. Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Depends on how dried out it is. Essentially, once it's fully cured there's nothing I know that will dissolve it--that's why real restorers don't use it on true antiques.

If it is just thickened, hot water...

--

Reply to
dpb

Hot water works since it is water based.

Reply to
Norvin Gordon

Not cured, just cottage cheese. Water... duh. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Man, was I complicating things. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

But the water may cost you more than a new bottle.

Reply to
HeyBub

No, they're about seven bucks and worth every penny.

-MIKE-

Acetone.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

The hot water is working for the goo. Acetone for hardened or goo?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Vinegar

Reply to
Leon

For a good & cheap bottle I use mustard squeeze bottles.

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

All of the above. PVA is soluble in acetone.

One reference I found via the google.

brian

you google!! (shakes fist) :^|

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I don't want good, cheap. :-) I want great and not cheap, which is why I'm not throwing away the bottle I have.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Add some small brads and shake it once in a while. Water alone won't really do it; not IME at least.

Reply to
dadiOH

The acetone really loosens it up.

Reply to