Careful with that router...

I was routing out the shapes of the feet on my Shaker table in what I feel confident was a safe manner when I picked up the router to switch to the other side of the pattern without shutting it off. Went over before I went enough up, and nicked the pattern. That means a bunch more sanding. Needless to say, I am not happy.
-Phil Crow
Similar situations has happened (or will happen) to all of us. Good thing it wasn't a body part that got nicked.
On 20 Mar 2005 08:36:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

May I say, better that than your hand or other important body part? Some people pay a higher price to learn that lesson.
Glad to hear you're ok.
JOE
On 20 Mar 2005 08:36:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I had a little mishap last weekend with the router as well- I was making a little display table, and when routing the 1/2" x 1/4" dado for the drawer guides, the bit managed to walk itself up in the collet, and came through the surface of the piece right where my hand had been just seconds before. Needless to say, I was more than happy to just make a new panel after I imagined how much more trouble it would have been to have the hospital try and put my mangled palm back together had I not moved it when I did.
The good side of it was that I showed my wife the destroyed panel, let her turn nice and pale, then went out yesterday and got myself a spankin' new Porter-Cable D-handle router to replace the little "Duracraft" thing she had given me as a gift. I had been trying to figure out how to replace that sucker for a while without hurting her feelings, and that was as good an excuse as any!
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus wrote:
<cut>

SWMBO always _means_ well! ;)
My boss... err... wife, just gave up after a while. This past holiday, I got a subscription to Sky & Telescope. ;)
--
Frank A
fdjunk a7 c0mca57 d0t n3t
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:55:02 -0500, Frank A <"fdjunk at comcast dot net"> wrote:>Prometheus wrote:

My solution was to point out the Lee Valley and Amazon.com "Wish List" features. :)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
They must have purchased the rights to the automatic height adjuster from Craftsman. There are always complaints about this feature on the rec.