career gloat

Last year the woodshop teacher at the school I work at retired. The principal offered me a part time position (the rest of the day I keep my old job, teaching foreign language). WHAT A JOB! It is unbelievably great! I actually look forward to my morning classes. Hectic is not the word for it, 35 9th and 10th graders all bugging me on how to do something, AND WANTING TO LEARN! While my kids, in the traditional academic sense might be deemed as not too bright, they are bright in their own ways. Most importantly, most, for the first time in their school careers many are finding success in school. For those of you who have never taught woodworking to a bunch of HS kids it's a real kick.

I had to gloat. I'm hoping that next year it might be full time.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Good luck to you. Having a job you truly enjoy is a joy in itself. So is having a teacher with the same enthusiasm as the students.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Great Glen!, its good to see such enthusiasm from the teacher and the students! Best of luck!....and a perfect gloat!....

Reply to
Schroeder

Great to hear! I was the first female woodshop student back in 1983 at my school and I believe my country and had the greatest teacher. I guess he enjoyed the enthusiasm of a female student wanting to create something other than food and needlework. Two subjects I refused to take part in; the school ended up giving into my insistance to study woodwork in year 10 and graphics in year 11. Both subjects I excelled in; and have to admit, even though the boys had been studying the subjects for years already; I topped the class. Even though my breadboard is long gone, I still have the box, stool and coffee table I made 22 years ago. Heavyset men have sat on the stool and table and both objects still look as new as they did when I made them.

I've now decided to utilise what I learnt all those years ago and create objects to sell; hence I am here reading your posts.

Reply to
in2oils

heh. a driveby on a gloat thread....

Reply to