Care and feeding of Draw Knives

I picked up a coupla draw knives at an antique store, and now get the interesting task of learning how to use them. It looks so simple watching Roy on TV *g*.
How sharp do these need to be? Is the tool like most where super sharp is better? How do I sharpen them? I've got a Worksharp 3000, but doubt it'll be any good for this task.
What else do I need to know?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Yes they need to be sharp. Mine is razor sharp.
Flatten the back then holding the stone run it along the blade.. That's the easiest way.
While learning to use it, wear a leather apron.. so you don't kill yourself.. No joke. I picked up a welding apron from HF for 6.99 on sale, I use it for that, and at the tablesaw (sometimes).. It's split leather and heavy.
Once you learn to use it, you can do some serious work fast... You can also debark a piece of wood real quick. I prefer just to peel the bark, but sometimes that's not doable if it hasn't shrank enough.. So this comes to the rescue and I can quickly get it rough cut on the bandsaw. Many uses...
On 7/9/2012 3:05 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

IIRC there are instructions in this book. The complete guide to sharpening / Leonard Lee Art

I'm not hiding behind questions, just out on the road for several days and this is the easiest way to enjoy my new purchase.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 09 Jul 2012 19:53:38 GMT, Puckdropper

Try shaving with them?
(Well, you wanted ideas didn't you? You didn't say they had to be good ideas.) :)
"Puckdropper" wrote in message
I picked up a coupla draw knives at an antique store, and now get the interesting task of learning how to use them. It looks so simple watching Roy on TV *g*.
How sharp do these need to be? Is the tool like most where super sharp is better? How do I sharpen them? I've got a Worksharp 3000, but doubt it'll be any good for this task.
What else do I need to know?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
On 09 Jul 2012 19:05:07 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

It is. The trick is to use them enough to find the correct angle. Then learn watch your grain, just as you do with a handplane. After that, it's simple.

Scary.
Yes.
Carefully. Sharp blades are dangerous.

Probably not. I prop my 2x6" DMT 600 grit diamond plate on a 4x4 in the vise so I have handle clearance. Then I move to 1000grit paper and strop on green crayons from LVT.

Use it bevel-down, like a high-angle plane, for most cutting. They stay pretty sharp for quite awhile since they're not used a whole lot.
-- It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt