Card scrapers, sharpen 'em bro!

Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:

brian

Leon

Not really tedious, but not really different than putting it in a vise and filing, then stoning. There is no need for the block... (it's just a crutch) Everything else was pretty standard...

Reply to
tiredofspam

Anyone send in a blade to Forrest recently?

What was the turnaround time? (I know it changes depending on workload like everyone else) just looking for approx time.

My blade needs it, cleaning it didn't help..

Thanks

Reply to
tiredofspam

Appreciate the feedback Leon. At the very least I hope you were entertained. :)

Reply to
brian

I use the Veritas set up now but used to simply clamp the scraper in the vice, give it a couple of strokes with the file, run the burnisher perpendicular to the scraper edge to round over the edge on both sides and then slightly tilt the burnisher for one side then the next to better form the edge on both sides. About half the work for twice the results.

Reply to
Leon

Last time for me, about 2 years ago it tool about 2~2.5 weeks. I keep a spare on hand and put it on when one goes out.

Reply to
Leon

The music was "fabulous". Keep up the good work Brian!

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
tiredofspam

You still have to file and burnish but you don't need a vise or clamp, it is all hand held.

?p=32633&cat=1,310,41070Oddly they show using a vise but I never use one.

Reply to
Leon

LOL ...

Hey Brian, don't look now but your card scraper "holder" is already ~patented pending~ by FIG (Festool Investment Group), of which Leon is the founder.

Instead of holding your card "scrapers", FIG uses it for holding a full "hand" of Canasta cards:

kidding aside, good method on the sharpening of card scrapers as it addresses the basics of what makes it work ... I basically use my woodworking vise and a bastard file, followed up with a burnishing tool to do something similar.

Reply to
Swingman

>> All kidding aside, good method on the sharpening of card scrapers as it

Oh! I am the FoFIG. I was not aware of that. ;~)

Still have the picture of the card holder with the domino kickstand? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Leon, I have to see your shop :-) You definetly have all the cool stuff.

I'll do it the old way, it only takes 1-2 minutes max.

BTW the reason that you stone sometimes over filing, or finish with a stone, is you get a smooter cut.

When I have to do my #80, I stone it.

Reply to
tiredofspam

:)

Reply to
brian

I have a nice card scraper file holder and I don't burnish, I hone on a 600 grit diamond plate. It's not quite as aggressive without a burr, but that works very well for me.

-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Did mine a few weeks ago, and I was without the blade for two weeks.

John S.

Reply to
John Shear

Thanks.

Was hoping that the 3-5 day turnaround they say on the website was accurate.

I guess I have to use some old blades while it's out.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Larry, do you make dust or whisper thin shavings? When you make dust, you are no better than using sandpaper. When you make shavings you are cutting the wood.

I use it mostly for hard to handle wild figure, edging, it's great for leveling the last little bit of home made edging. And for removing glue on panels that I have put together.

I agree sometimes not hav> >

Reply to
tiredofspam

Reply to
Kenefick

I do the same thing Larry does, usually running the scraper across the diamond plate at a slight skew, which perhaps gives an effect similar to the hook you get from a burnisher. Works like a champ, resulting in a scraper that peels off shavings just as beautifully as any other (more time consuming) method I've used. That whole "burnishing to get the perfect hook" think is overrated if you ask me.

Reply to
Steve Turner