Card scrapers, sharpen 'em bro!

Page 1 of 2
Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum/showthread.php?tid –
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/27/2012 12:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

I guess that is "another" way to do it... seems tedious.
Add pictures here
✖
Not really tedious, but not really different than putting it in a vise and filing, then stoning. There is no need for the block... (it's just a crutch) Everything else was pretty standard...
On 6/27/2012 2:11 PM, Leon wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On 6/27/2012 2:07 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

I use the Veritas set up now but used to simply clamp the scraper in the vice, give it a couple of strokes with the file, run the burnisher perpendicular to the scraper edge to round over the edge on both sides and then slightly tilt the burnisher for one side then the next to better form the edge on both sides. About half the work for twice the results.
Add pictures here
✖
I don't know what the Veritas set is. You don't have to use a file or burnisher?
On 6/27/2012 5:19 PM, Leon wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On 6/27/2012 6:13 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

You still have to file and burnish but you don't need a vise or clamp, it is all hand held.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p2631&cat=1,43072,43089
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p2633&cat=1,310,41070
Oddly they show using a vise but I never use one.

Add pictures here
✖
Leon, I have to see your shop :-) You definetly have all the cool stuff.
I'll do it the old way, it only takes 1-2 minutes max.
BTW the reason that you stone sometimes over filing, or finish with a stone, is you get a smooter cut.
When I have to do my #80, I stone it.
On 6/27/2012 7:33 PM, Leon wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 27, 8:41 pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Depends what I'm using the scraper for. For cutting back old varnish, smooth single cut file and off to work. For finish prep, joint with a 1200 DMT stone held on its edge and the scraper elevated on a scrap of wood.
Dead square edges are good for bragging rights, but not really necessary. An 88 or 92 degree arris shaves wood as easily as a dead-on 90.000. Stanley #80-type scraper blades are sharpened to a fairly acute bevel, but work just fine. Sharpening to a square bevel just gives you two extra cutting edges per sharpening.
Add pictures here
✖

I have a nice card scraper file holder and I don't burnish, I hone on a 600 grit diamond plate. It's not quite as aggressive without a burr, but that works very well for me.
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln
Add pictures here
✖
Larry, do you make dust or whisper thin shavings? When you make dust, you are no better than using sandpaper. When you make shavings you are cutting the wood.
I use it mostly for hard to handle wild figure, edging, it's great for leveling the last little bit of home made edging. And for removing glue on panels that I have put together.
I agree sometimes not having a hook is better, but with a hook it can be a different world. Try it skewed too.
On 6/28/2012 1:33 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On 6/28/2012 11:20 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

I do the same thing Larry does, usually running the scraper across the diamond plate at a slight skew, which perhaps gives an effect similar to the hook you get from a burnisher. Works like a champ, resulting in a scraper that peels off shavings just as beautifully as any other (more time consuming) method I've used. That whole "burnishing to get the perfect hook" think is overrated if you ask me.
✖
On 6/28/12 3:08 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

+1
--

-MIKE-

✖
Anyone send in a blade to Forrest recently?
What was the turnaround time? (I know it changes depending on workload like everyone else) just looking for approx time.
My blade needs it, cleaning it didn't help..
Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/27/2012 2:10 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Last time for me, about 2 years ago it tool about 2~2.5 weeks. I keep a spare on hand and put it on when one goes out.
Add pictures here
✖
Did mine a few weeks ago, and I was without the blade for two weeks.
John S.
On 06/27/2012 02:10 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Thanks.
Was hoping that the 3-5 day turnaround they say on the website was accurate.
I guess I have to use some old blades while it's out.
On 6/28/2012 9:54 AM, John Shear wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Maybe 2 - 5 days shipping each way, then 2 - 5 days to sharpen.
On 6/28/2012 11:24 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:11:23 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Appreciate the feedback Leon. At the very least I hope you were entertained. :)
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/27/2012 2:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

The music was "fabulous". Keep up the good work Brian!
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/27/2012 4:21 PM, Leon wrote:

LOL ...
Hey Brian, don't look now but your card scraper "holder" is already ~patented pending~ by FIG (Festool Investment Group), of which Leon is the founder.
Instead of holding your card "scrapers", FIG uses it for holding a full "hand" of Canasta cards:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5758862312327223394
All kidding aside, good method on the sharpening of card scrapers as it addresses the basics of what makes it work ... I basically use my woodworking vise and a bastard file, followed up with a burnishing tool to do something similar.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010