Carcase question

I'm building an entertainment cabinet to support a 60" wide screen TV and have a construction question. The carcase will be made out of 3/4" hardwood plywood and will have two internal vertical dividers spaced equal distances apart. These dividers and the sides will transfer the load to the floor. There will also be a horizontal divider within each compartment. The horizontal dividers will all be in the same plane. My question is how to attach the horizontal dividers. If I cut a 1/4" dado for them in the vertical panels then I end up with two dados opposite from one another in each panel with 1/4" of stock between them. I'm thinking that this is fine since all the load is going to be vertical not side to side. But is this an issue? Will it be strong enough? I don't think it would look to good but I'm not worried about that since a face frame will cover the dados.

George

Reply to
George Pagliarulo

Not really, once you get it assembled ... you're adding the removed material back in with the ends of the horizontal dividers

Should be as strong as it was before you removed the material.

Properly applied, the face frames should also add strength and rigidity to the carcase.

Reply to
Swingman

I have done similar but make the horizontal divider,/ Shelf? Adjustable. Why attach it permanently. The back you put on the unit should keep it from racking.

Reply to
Leon

Aha! And square, too?!!! (insert smilie here) -- Igor

Reply to
igor

;~) I was just waiting for you to pick up on that. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Adjustable.

But, but ... if there were no 'factory' edges, how do you know the back was "square", and would make noise when it fell, by itself, in the forest?

Reply to
Swingman

When in doubt I "Eye Ball It" fer acracy. LOL

Reply to
Leon

And if your woodworking skills are inversely proportional to your spelling at this NG (Shirley, some of it may be intentional), you must be a friggin' Michael Angelo with wood. (And for your banker's sake, I hope so.) -- Igor

Reply to
igor

Igor, I often spell words Phonically, Texan Phonically. And, my spell checker has either given up on me or I am way ahead of it. LOL And just in case, I was not in any way, shape, or form trying to belittle of offend you.

Reply to
Leon

fagettabowtit

(I know a by-lined reporter for a major magazine whose e-mails evidence less concern for spelling than the proverbial 1000 monkeys typing for Shakespeare. But, her messages get through. If I want a spelling reference, I'll check the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary I just bought. Not as quick as a long-ago girlfriend who had been a state spelling bee champ, but less attitude. Anyway, I enjoy the ree-partay. Thanks.)

Reply to
igor

I'd probably make them adjustable shelves.

Reply to
bridger

George...

You might want to look at this AVS Forum thread:

's what I built for my 62" Mitsubishi:

?s=&postid=4879771&fullpage=1Construction details are buried in the thread, but basically I used butt joints augmented with deck screws and dowels. To insure that it wouldn't rack, I blocked up the center with 1/2" plywood, cleated around the entire perimeter. To test it (before finishing) two

200-pounders sat on either end and tried to rock it... nothing doing. The set weighs about 175, and it pulls out easy for cabling. Would I do it different next time... probably use my bisquit jointer instead of dowels, but I didn't want a thick frame... so I had some limitations.

Mike

Reply to
captmikey