Carbide Planer Blade repairable?

The jointer hand push block to my Makita P12-RA jointer/planer was stored on the planer table and had slid underneath the planer where it remained unnoticed. When I was jointing I suddenly heard a very worrisome sound: the aluminum handle to the hand block made contact with a carbide planer blade ruining on of the carbide blades.

Anyone have an opinion as to whether the blade can be repaired? Or recommend a place that does repair work for carbide blades?

The P12-RA has two blades and I think the replacements are sold only in pairs. The pair of Hitachi carbide blades for the P12-RA cost over $300 if I recall correctly.

I've posted pictures of the damaged blade on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (a.b.p.w) under the subject "Chipped Planer Blade beyond repair?"

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John L. Poole

Carbide cannot be repaired. Only way is to grind the chip out. Don't know if that will leave enough blade left to use or not. Didn't see the picture.

Reply to
CW

Ouch! Sounds like you are out $305. $300 for new blades and $5 for a set of the cheap plastic harbor freight push blocks. I have nicked the plastic push blocks on the table saw several times without any damage.

Is there enough room to try to offset the blades so the nicks in the alternating blades don't line up with each other?

Reply to
Oughtsix