Car Notebook Computer Mount?

I'd like to make a mount to fit in my Ford Explorer between the front seats above the center console for my 17in notebook computer. I've been testing a few different ideas and so far having trouble finding an all wood platform that is stable and not in the way of the leg room for me or a passenger. Sure could use any suggestions...ideas...advise...
Thanks,
quakertowner asks:

My wife and I went to lunch yesterday, where I parked right next to one of the local deppitties. You might want to check on the set-up your local cops use, though I'm fairly sure they don't muchc are about passengers. Huge notebook standing open in the front, printer hanging from the rear seat behind the driver.
My guess, though I didn't look, is that wood plays absolutely no part in any of the designs, though.
Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)
"quakertowner @yahoo.com>" <quakertowner<REMOVE> wrote in message

And people get mad when they see other drivers talking on a cellphone and driving. Just wait until someone cuts you off in traffic and you see that they are typing on a laptop.
Frank
Frank Ketchum wrote:

I think you'll find that one use for a laptop is navigation--it's far safer to have the laptop say to you "Turn left here" than to be trying to drive and fumble with a map at the same time.

--
--John

Another use for a laptop is to cruise around neighborhoods slowly with a wireless card waiting to find a signal from someone who doesn't know any better than to encrypt his network. From this point, anything on the network is comprimised such as bank info, credit card numbers as well as a free portal to the internet for the truly nasty viruses to be unleashed with no way to track them back to the rightful writer.
Frank
"quakertowner @yahoo.com>" <quakertowner<REMOVE> wrote in message

I looked for exactly the same thing a while back. Truckers and police use an adjustable mount system that is all steel and aluminum. Those things are better designed and stronger than what could be made from wood. They are adjustable via locking ball swivel joints so you can position them properly. They fold up out of the way when not deployed. You should be able to find these with some effort on a search engine. If I find what I printed out a while back, I'll post the brand here.
Maybe you could make a nice wood top to cover or replace the stock one.
If you can stand the insane that are ruining the group, you might want to try the newsgroup misc.transport.trucking and ask. There are still some really good and helpful people there, but the crazies have invaded there. Please don't cross post to there from here, you'll bring the goofballs here.
James

I went into our York Region Police garage here and asked where those stands can be bought. I was given contact info for their supplier, but was told that they are about almost $2000 items. Surprisingly, I never did follow up on it. ;-)
Gerry
Yep, everything sold to a government agency costs more.

George wrote:

Google "laptop vehicle mount" and you'll find a number of suppliers. Prices seem to be in the $400 range.

--
--John
"J. Clarke" wrote:

... and pay attention to what you get for the listed price. In many instances the mounting base and the computer platform are sold separately.
"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote:

Yes, they are expensive. I've considered buying one for a couple of years and still haven't. Here's one of the less expensive ones I've found:
http://www.laptraveler.com/rwhd13series.htm
calmly ranted:

The OP should try these guys. Had I been funded better that year when I saw them at COMDEX, I would have become a dealer.
http://www.ram-mount.com /
========================================================= CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ========================================================= http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 02:29:40 -0500, "quakertowner"

TWS
Quakertowner,
Take a look at the folowing link:
http://www.americanvan.com /
Click on "Mobile Desk Organizers" to see what's available. Granted, they cater mostly towards vans and trucks, but you may be able to find something there that may fit your needs. Hope this helps.
Peter.