cap for birch plywood

I'm going to attempt to build a certain project using birch plywood, and I'd like to know what type of wood to use for a cap. It'll probably be stained a cherry color.
Any input is most appreciated...
Chris
why not use cherry plywood and edge band it with cherry?
I use maple to cap my birch plywood projects. Close enough visual match for my purposes and easy to come by. I haven't tried to stain it though.
Chris Nail wrote:

Chris Nail wrote:

birch? I am in the process of doing a desk, the finsh is danish oil.

Basswood. Fine grain, works great, cut a thin slice and put it right on.
--
Jim in NC

Why not birch? Cheap and easy to find, and it'll match when you stain it.
John Martin
JMartin957 wrote:

not necessarily. the way the ply is cut from the log changes the grain characteristic. You will have to run several samples of different products to find on that does match or can be adjusted so that it does.
My latest project, I tried gel stain, oil stain, "polyshades", bug spit and danish oil. danish oil was the best match with poly shades a clos second. the non match of the bug spit was a real shocker.
BRuce
One idea, which I've personally done, is to take some scrap strips of the plywood and saw the veneers off. Then glue them to the project edges. Obviously a perfect match, since it is the same material. This type of thing only fits with low end or shop cabinets IMHO.
-- Bill Pounds http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop