CanI change G1182 Jointer Knives without a jig?

Hi,
I bought a used Grizzly jointer yesterday; OK price ($175), and it seems to be a sturdy machine. Problem is the knives have some nicks, and the guy couldn't locate the setting jig. I can easily get good edges joined, but wider pieces may be a problem. Using a straight edge and the jointer table for reference, can a person change a set of knives without a jig? Also, will a few small (1/16") nicks go away with sharpening, or should I plan on a new set?
Thanks,
Scott
Get a new set of knives.1/16 is a pretty big nick. You can set the knives with a straightedge and a lot of fussing, or you could make a set of magnetic-type gauges with a few (6) magnets from the hardware store, some 3/4 ply and a little gorrila glue.Tom Scott wrote:>Hi,

I don't have that jointer, but I would think that you can solve the nick problem by offsetting the knives slightly.
On 19 Jan 2004 07:33:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Scott) wrote:

the details of adjusting the blades will vary from machine to machine, but in most cases it is possible to adjust without a jig. it might take a little longer and be a bit fussy, but you can do it. there are various methods ranging from a straight edge off of the outfeed table to magnets to dial indicators.... all can work.
small nicks in an otherwise sharp set of blades can be worked around by shifting one blade to the side a tad. the sharpening service will be able to give you an opinion as to whether your blades are salvageable.
    Bridger
Yes, a GOOD straight edge can be used and will produce acceptable results.
John
On 19 Jan 2004 07:33:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Scott) wrote:

Thanks gang, I'll explore the straight edge method a bit further. Just saw some threads on magnets too ... I do think I'll just get a new set of knives, instead of sharpening the nicked ones.
Cheers,
Scott