Cane Holder Need Solved

I carry a cane now, not because I need one about 99.9% of the time, but every once in awhile my knee gives me problems, and then I'm very happy the cane is along.

Most of the time it's no bother, I either hold it, hook it on a counter, or over my left arm. But Sat I took a CC course and on the range the cane was PITA. I tried sticking it in the gravel, but it was gusty, and that only worked for a few seconds. I can get down to pick it up, but it's a bitch gtting back up - bad back. The guy nest to me picked it up for me, and I finally hooked it it over my lsft arm.

This made me think about having a cane holder of some sort, for next time The best I could come up with was rings cut out of wood, jointed with wood strips, cane in the center, and the bottome riing have spikes thru it. I could hold it up on the cane with a little finger loop to walk, then let it down, push the spikes on the bottome ring in the ground withe my foot, and it'd hold the cane.

Best I come up with, and it sucked, so started googling. Zip along those lines. Then got to thinking, and started surfing gun caddys. Plenty for rifles, nothing for pistols. Hmm. Then ran across this.

Instant inspiration. I'd had to carry my magazines in my coat pocket, and had a couple of mis-feeds I had to work thru, so if I put a small, lipped, shelf, about 12"x12", at the top instead of a box, I could lay loaded magazines on it, some loose rounds, and the pistol. Possibly another shelf under, for just-in-case. Narrow the thing to about as wide as the shelf(s), box at the bottom, for extras, and to add stability. Wheels off a baby carriage or similar. Should be an easy carry if need be. Perfect. I'm gonna start one as soon as I find some suitable wheels. And, I can hang the cane on the edge of the shelf. Excellent. Problem solved thru creative woodworking.

For inquiring minds, I had a few fliers, apparently mostly from first round double-action, which Id never shot before, but at least kept them all on the paper. The rest mostly pretty much destroyed the X rung. Good times where had by all. Got my certificate, no prob, will try to go next week to apply for the permit. Life is basically good.

JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.

Reply to
J T

kredgar

I have a 1" square piece of velcro (hooks) on the cane and the mating piece (fuzz) on my belt and since the velcro, belt, and cane are all black it's invisible. Whenever I don't want the cane, I attach it to my belt. (don't put the hooks on your belt - you will become attached to many things).

This works only while you are standing in one general location, like at the check-out. It's not good to carry the cane this way. There are also folding canes - the ends of the pieces taper fit together with a piece of bungee cord running through them. It's self assembling, like some of the tent poles. You can fold it and wrap it with a velcro tie strap to keep it folded, then attach it to the velcro on your belt. Problem solved -and you have added less than 1 ounce to the carry weight.

Charley

Charley

Mon, Jan 29, 2007, 8:41am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth ponder: Why not get a stick with a 'hook' on it....I make sticks with built in hooks shaped from the wood. People simply hang the stick on the edge of a pocket.

Because a cane with a "hook" on it would tend to "hook" things. I already said that normally I just "hook" the cane on a counter, table, or my arm, using the handle - so I don't need, or want, a hook on a cane. Anyway, where would the shelf to hold my magazines go, hooked in another pocket?

JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.

Reply to
J T

Mon, Jan 29, 2007, 6:29pm snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com (Charley) doth sayeth: I have a 1" square piece of velcro (hooks) on the cane and the mating piece (fuzz) on my belt There are also folding canes

Don' wear no seenkin' belt. Hol' my pants up with suspenders. Anyway, at the range I would have preferred just throwing the cane down on the ground. Less hassle.

Don' wan' no steenkin' foldin' cane. No way sturdy enough if you want to hit something a real good wallop. I'll stick with my nice solid wood cane, it's a good self defense weapon in itself - none of those lightweight aluminum canes for me..