Canada wins NAFTA ruling on softwood lumber

Swingman notes:

Don't know if it will help, or even if it still exists, but some years ago, Burpee had some taste-centered old-fashioned seed. You can't really pick up much in the way of non-long keepers here, either, but we're going to turn under a quarter acre next year...well, in October...and plant some things we want. Real corn. Tomatoes. No zucchini. But it has been a long time since we tried. Got tired of feeding the damned deer.

Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

I checked. Should have done it first. Try

They have more than 18 varieties of heirloom tomatoes.

Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

The birds are the biggest problem here ... netting does a pretty job of stopping that for someone reduced to front porch farming.

I heard Paul Harvey discussing "heirloom varities" the other day and it got me thinking. No longer living in the country, but yearning for the things that made those times so enjoyable as I get older, I am bound and determined to taste a real tomato at least one more time.

And thanks for the burpee motherlode/link, Charlie ... I was just going googling for "burpee" when I saw your second post.

Reply to
Swingman

Right, because one particular cold summer in one particular region has anything at all to do with global warming.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
James

Yeah, here in Houston, we have had a really mild Summer also. 5 cold fronts that actually lowered the temperatures to fall like temperatures before the end of August. This normally does not happen until late October and November.

Reply to
Leon

It was a JOKE, Dave ... you missed that too.

Reply to
Swingman

Ah, you see, it's so hard to tell when someone is only _acting like_ they don't understand science and saying "It was cold today therefore global warming is false", and when they're actually saying that and meaning it. I've had that conversation with more than a few people who don't understand short-term vs. long-term trends, and I thought you were one of them. I'm sorry; I didn't see that you were joking.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Try:

have some heirloom varieties of plants, including indeterminant tomatoes.

Reply to
George

Agreed ... but no liberal arts major here. Too many years of the reek of chemistry labs went up my nose to fall for that kind of logic. ;>)

No problem ... while I thought "eh?" was a dead giveaway, I apologize for not being more emphatic considering the medium.

Reply to
Swingman

The farmers that come to the Union Square Greenmarket have so many "heirloom" tomato varieties that I have to believe seeds are available somewhere. I have no place to grow them, but they sure are fun to eat.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light

Reply to
Rodney Myrvaagnes

Funny how the subject matter of a thread can change. This one started as NAFTA, became Tomatoes, and then global warming. Guess we have to read ALL threads since a lot of them mutate in the same manner.

By the way, the Summer here in NJ has been hotter than usual -- not more record days but higher temps per day. Just for the record, Jersey tomatoes are the best and this year it has been a bumper crop. Start all of mine from seed and due mulch with the bountiful supply of sawdust I generate.

Reply to
Jack Casuso

Gotta love it! From lumber to tomato seeds.

Reply to
John

[snip]

That's called chumming. Venison sandwich with tomato and onion. Yummers! ;-)

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Try

. Always great, at least when I was a kid. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

tomatoes-www.seedsavers.org or

. I think there's a retail place for southwest seeds as well...

Reply to
patrick mitchel

In a hot climate, that mulch would be good. First, it sucks up nitrogen, holding back the foliage on the tomato, and of course, it keeps moisture available to shallow roots.

Those of us who struggle in the north to ripen a single tomato on the vine avoid it, because it keeps the soil too cool. We also grow the more commercial determinant types which set fruit all at once, because we don't have the season.

The peas I didn't rip out are blossoming again, it's so cold and wet!

Reply to
George

It could easily segue into global warming. Oh, wait...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Amen!

Schroeder

Reply to
Schroeder

Text has that problem, yes. And I see that particular statement made so often that they can't _all_ be joking, or can they?

Reply to
Dave Hinz