Canada wins NAFTA ruling on softwood lumber

Page 2 of 3
Gotta love it! From lumber to tomato seeds.

It could easily segue into global warming. Oh, wait...
Bob

Text has that problem, yes. And I see that particular statement made so often that they can't _all_ be joking, or can they?

So don't buy seedlings. It's easy to start your own indoors from seeds, and there's lots of good varieties available from some of the lesser-known seed houses. We get most of ours from http://www.johnnyseeds.com /. Many of the "heirloom" varieties produce wrinkled or mis-shapen fruit which don't go over well in commercial markets, but the taste can't be beat.
"Roy Smith" wrote in message

As I said, I am looking for "seeds" ... thanks for the link.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Swingman wrote:

I checked. Should have done it first. Try www.burpee.com
They have more than 18 varieties of heirloom tomatoes.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
you could try Vesseys if your in a colder climate http://www.veseys.com /
James www.cryscom.nb.ca
Charlie Self wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Ah, the memories...
Back when I was about 10 years old (c.1971) I spotted an ad in the back of Boy's Life magazine and sent away for a Burpee seed sales kit. The idea was to ring bells door-to-door and offer quality, well-known Burpee flower and garden seeds to the neighbors. By selling certain amounts of seeds a boy would earn rewards at whatever level of sales he achieved.
A small box arrived a couple weeks later with quite a sampling of various plant seeds. Excitedly I hit the streets in our smallish, out-of-town neighborhood in northern Virginia. Surprisingly the neighbors were quite receptive and before long I had amassed quite a tidy sum of coin in the collection envelope with my seed stock practically depleted. As I recall I had sold something on the order of $15 or $20 worth of Burpee packets at 10 or 25 apiece.
My chosen reward was a wooden box chock full of an assortment of X-Acto blades and handle. Wow were those things sharp. I didn't have a history of carving or whittling (obww). Nor did I seriously take up the craft afterwards. I didn't want to dull the blades, after all. Everything seemed just as it should be. I sent away, they sent to me, I sold and submitted the proceeds, they sent me my payment. Budding entrepreneurialism wed to good ol' capitalism. Beautiful. (Not to mention the trust Burpee was extending to all those boys.) Then...
One day my older sister was using one of the blades for something or other. The long blade slipped off of the object and cleanly sliced into the web of skin and muscle between her thumb and forefinger. My mother confiscated the, *my*, X-Acto knife set. Too dangerous she said. Jeez.
Kinda like the Cox Red Baron, gas, fly-by-wire biplane I got for Christmas when I was about 11 or 12. My mother took it upon herself to be the first to try it out as my Dad fired it up. As the plane took off and gained altitude, she spun around and around and around trying to control it and keep up with it. A half dozen rotations and she lost her bearings, driving the plane directly into the ground, breaking the wing struts and doing serious damage to the future aerodynamics. Out of commission before I even got a turn. Jeez...
Swingman notes:

Don't know if it will help, or even if it still exists, but some years ago, Burpee had some taste-centered old-fashioned seed. You can't really pick up much in the way of non-long keepers here, either, but we're going to turn under a quarter acre next year...well, in October...and plant some things we want. Real corn. Tomatoes. No zucchini. But it has been a long time since we tried. Got tired of feeding the damned deer.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

The birds are the biggest problem here ... netting does a pretty job of stopping that for someone reduced to front porch farming.
I heard Paul Harvey discussing "heirloom varities" the other day and it got me thinking. No longer living in the country, but yearning for the things that made those times so enjoyable as I get older, I am bound and determined to taste a real tomato at least one more time.
And thanks for the burpee motherlode/link, Charlie ... I was just going googling for "burpee" when I saw your second post.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Charlie Self wrote:

That's called chumming. Venison sandwich with tomato and onion. Yummers! ;-)
    mahalo,     jo4hn

"heirloom" tomato varieties that I have to believe seeds are available somewhere. I have no place to grow them, but they sure are fun to eat.
Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a
"WooWooism lives" Anon grafitto on the base of the Cuttyhunk breakwater light
So true! We ought to refuse the bred-for-shipping varieties that our home grown MBAs have given us. Maybe if everyone rejected the crap served in restaurants we could reverse the trend. But there is hope, as in http://www.tomatofest.com/home.html and many others--for the investment of some time and some earth.
Jay Knepper

Yeah, here in Houston, we have had a really mild Summer also. 5 cold fronts that actually lowered the temperatures to fall like temperatures before the end of August. This normally does not happen until late October and November.

Burpee has an heirloom line of seeds that I've been quite happy with over the years. Good germination, great catalog.
Dave Hinz
Try: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/welcome.html
They have some heirloom varieties of plants, including indeterminant tomatoes.

Funny how the subject matter of a thread can change. This one started as NAFTA, became Tomatoes, and then global warming. Guess we have to read ALL threads since a lot of them mutate in the same manner.
By the way, the Summer here in NJ has been hotter than usual -- not more record days but higher temps per day. Just for the record, Jersey tomatoes are the best and this year it has been a bumper crop. Start all of mine from seed and due mulch with the bountiful supply of sawdust I generate.
Happy woodworking/gardening.
wrote in message news:aeqdndMuCuwMmqvcRVn->

In a hot climate, that mulch would be good. First, it sucks up nitrogen, holding back the foliage on the tomato, and of course, it keeps moisture available to shallow roots.
Those of us who struggle in the north to ripen a single tomato on the vine avoid it, because it keeps the soil too cool. We also grow the more commercial determinant types which set fruit all at once, because we don't have the season.
The peas I didn't rip out are blossoming again, it's so cold and wet!

Try http://gurneys.com/ . Always great, at least when I was a kid.     j4
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 12:23:25 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Totally Tomatoes P.O. Box 295 (or) 334 W. Stroud St. Randolph, WI 53956 USA
Google for 'em ... and give the Early Goliath a try -- worked VERY well for me this year. (Also try the Old Brooks, not as early as Early Goliath, but still somewhat ahead of the pack and good flavor / size in an unusually cool summer here in MI.)
--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)