Can you trust a DIY channel host who thinks a SCMS is a RAS??

Page 3 of 4

ONLY if cross cutting the dado.
Leon wrote:

David wrote:

Dados run accross the grain, by definition.
--

FF

Actually with the grain is most often referred as a groove however by definition,
Meaning #3: a rectangular groove cut into a board so that another piece can fit into it
<<a SCMS can do dados, albeit in multiple passes as you can't put a dado blade on the arbor. All the SCMS's I've seen have a depth stop so that you can do dados.>>
Yes, I should have included the stipulation about using a dado blade. There are all sorts of saws that can be used to make dadoes but not many that can expedite the process with a dado set. On a similar subject, I saw a show this weekend on DIY which was hosted by a past/present baseball player (I didn't watch long enough to figure out which one) about how to decorate your basement with a sports theme. At one point they were making a display rack for some baseball gloves. It was made out of 2x4s notched, half-lap style, to form a grid. The picture clearly showed a circular saw making the notches while the ballplayer said "we used a jigsaw to notch the pieces."
Lee

_________________________________
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:41:55 -0400, "Lee Gordon"

Or work as an overarm router?
Or a drill press?
Or a rotary planer?
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

The question should be what will a RAS will do that a CS or CMS or SCMS will not.
The differences are, 1, you can rip a board on a RAS, 2, you can rabbet a board on a RAS 3, You can cut a full sheet of plywood in half on a RAS , 4, You can drill holes on a RAS, 5, You can mold edges on a board on a RAS, to name a few.

About Bruce Johnson An expert in wood refinishing, antique restoration, and home improvement, Bruce Johnson has published more than a dozen books on these topics, including Fifty Simple Ways To Save Your House, The Wood Finisher, The Weekend Refinisher, and The Official Identification and Price Guide to the Arts and Crafts Movement. His antique refinishing advice column, "Knock on Wood," runs in more than 20 antique/collectibles publications.
A rare combination of craftsman and journalist, Bruce began his career as a high school English teacher, but left teaching to set up his "Knock on Wood Antique Repair & Restoration" shop. He spent the next 10 years as a full-time professional refinisher, but eventually returned to writing. Yet, Bruce says, he won't ever be without a workbench and a couple of refinishing projects down in the basement Bruce is also the founder and director of the Arts and Crafts Conference and Antique Show held every February in Asheville, North Carolina, at the Grove Park Inn. The conference, which includes the largest Arts and Crafts antiques show, attracts more than 1500 Arts and Crafts collectors each year to its many seminars, tours, demonstrations and exhibits. Johnson is proud to have played a role in reviving interest in designers like Gustav Stickley, who founded the Arts and Crafts movement. These furnishings are treasured by such collectors as Steven Spielberg and Bruce Willis, among many others.
Patrick Conroy quoted:

I have to disagree with the article statement that the Arts and Crafts Movement was founded by Stickley. He believe he got his ideas from Ruskin and Morris. Hubbard had a big impact with the Roycrofter's as well.
John Ruskin (1819 -1900) William Morris (1834-1896) Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915) Gustav Stickley (1858-1942)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

sounds like some pretty good bonafides. so why doesn't he know the difference between a SCMS and a RAS, among numerous other things?
maybe some kind of dyslexia?
On 10/18/2005 11:15 PM snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com mumbled something about the following:

Do you have kids? I have 5, and there are times I have to go through the whole list before I get the right name. It's REAL easy to call something the wrong thing. What should have caught it was the editing.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS ??? BS ???

Not on TV, with a script, and the ability to re-shoot.
Not many people both know the subject and make a good presenter. But they ought to have someone on set who does know, and who would call Cut! aftter a gaff like that.
Andy Dingley wrote:

We don't know how well scripted these shows are, though. All of us stumble over our tongues from time to time, and if the shooting is rushed, that's what ends up being broadcast. Better if it doesn't happen, and better if it's edited out if it does happen, but life's like that.

Last contact I had with TV was some friends who let themselves be suckered onto a reality TV show last weekend (Mechannibals - it's Junkyard Wars with kitchen appliances). Even their "spontaneous hysterical outbursts" were scripted and shot two or three times, then the whole final scene and conclusion of the scene was reversed during the edit.
TV is a vile thing - that's why I've never owned one.
<<We don't know how well scripted these shows are, though. All of us stumble over our tongues from time to time, and if the shooting is rushed, that's what ends up being broadcast. Better if it doesn't happen, and better if it's edited out if it does happen, but life's like that.>>
Still, that isn't much of an excuse. This is supposed to be instructional television, and "network" television to boot. I might expect them to let it slide if this were some local cable access show with no budget and a proscribed amount of studio time available, but "professional" TV should be held to higher standards.
There's an expression in TV called "fix it in post." That refers to the practice of correcting errors or problems enountered during shooting in what is called "post-production," the time when the raw footage is edited and any normal adjustments to lighting and audio levels can be tweaked. I would guess that in any woodworking "how-to" show the camera is focused on the project, not on the host's face, for at least 75% of the time. Therefore, if the host misspoke, it is likely he did so while the audience could hear him but not see him. In that case, it is relatively cheap and easy to have him re-record his line off camera and edit in the new audio. Even if he was on camera, there are editing tricks that can make it an easy fix.
And DIY is by no means the only network guilty of shoddy or cheapskate production practices. I absolutely cringe when I hear some of the things I have heard on, for example, the Science Channel. There's one show called Paleo World in which the narrator pronounces the word "dinosaur" like "dyna-saw," as if it were some sort of prehistoric power tool. It's one thing to mispronounce a word ... but not the most important one! The have another show which was obviously produced originally in French by French Canadian TV. English is clearly the second language of the narrator who mispronounces such basic words as "helium" (i.e. the first syllable sounds like that place that's the opposite of heaven). I have first-hand knowledge that it doesn't cost that much to re-do the audio portion of a TV production. There's not much excuse for letting some of this stuff get on the air.
Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon wrote:

instead of "KU Klux Klan" More say it wrong than correctly.
Dave
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:22:12 -0400, "Lee Gordon"

Like uni-saur ?
Visit Bahstan pahks and listen to the Mothers and Dauhters tahk at the grocery store.
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:22:12 -0400, "Lee Gordon"

<<Visit Bahstan pahks and listen to the Mothers and Dauhters tahk at the grocery store.>>
Yes, I understand that's probably where the guy comes from. In fact, I grew up an hour from Boston, listening to Boston radio and watching Boston TV and even the local announcers didn't pronounce their words like that. BTW, I have no problem with a TV celebrity like Tom Silva speaking that way because he's a contractor who, by virtue of that fact, happens to be on TV. Same goes for Master Plumber Ed Del Grande. But someone who is, first and foremost, an announcer should be free of affectations. I will admit a certain prejudice in this regard as I am a professional announcer who grew up in New England and am able to conduct my business without a discernable regional accent.
Lee

I'll agree that rushing can cause mistakes but he makes this mistake over and over. I have never heard him refer to the SCMS or CMS as anything but a RAS.