Can you trust a DIY channel host who thinks a SCMS is a RAS??

Page 2 of 4

On 18 Oct 2005 14:16:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Please cite the episode you saw that in. It's not in any of the 221 I've seen.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Hi LRod,
We both know that this never happened (I only have about 210 episodes, but all recently viewed).
The closest reality is making cove molding by sliding square stock it over the TS blade little by little - I've done this many times and it is very safe.
Lou
loutent wrote:

I recall seeing it sometime between 1989 and 1993.
Is there somewhere we can look up a list of episodes?

I remember that too, but don't remember when.
What did he make in the first episode?
--

FF

On 18 Oct 2005 18:26:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net scribbled:

There's this guy, rod or something, who has an amazingly comprehensive site on Norm. Here's the list.
http://www.woodbutcher.net/episode.htm
Maybe we should ask him.
Oh! he has already answered.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Isn't there a list on LRod's web site? <g>
--
Regards,
<<Isn't there a list on LRod's web site? <g> >>

_________________________________
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:53:38 -0400, "Lee Gordon"

I really need to start promoting that thing...
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
<<I really need to start promoting that thing...>>
Yeah, why keep it such a secret? <g> Actually, I needed some information on Norm's first known use of a particular implement for an article I am writing and found exactly what I was looking for in about 30 seconds on www.woodbutcher.net (there, I just promoted it for you). So thanks for making this resource available.
Lee

_________________________________
Doug Miller wrote:

Actually what I remember was not quite like what OP described, see below.

Indeed there is and I do not see anything that could be the episode I remember, so evidently it was not Nahrm.
What I remember is that the worker, whoever he was, said he was going to make a series of plunge cuts onto the tablesaw blade, the blade was going to be only a fraction of in inch away from his hand and therefor alignment of the jig was very important.
So was there a pre-Nahrm or early contemporary show I might have seen and misremembered as Nahrm?
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

No, I think it was Norm. I recall the TS blade being set very low and the stock he used was more like 3X3. It was set at an angle to the blade and he explained that varying that angle would change the height dimension of the cove. He lacked the mitre fence in place and just puched the stock straight into the blade. Then he ripped the completed molding off the stock.
Did Norm ever nake a program of just little general woodworking "tips"? I think that would be worth keeping.
foggytown wrote:

That was Nahrm, making a cove, not whomever it was making a bowl with plunge cuts.
--

FF

The whomever was Tony Kramer. He made a disc, clamped a circular jig to the tablesaw and proceeded to spin the disc while raising the blade. Like driving past a car wreck I was horrified yet had to watch.

In the workbench episode (#2) he lowered some 1x stock onto the blade against the fence to make a stopped cut. In addition, it was supported at the front edge of the table and was in control at all times. I saw nothing particularly horrifying about that, but I'm sure there are some nervous nellies (or Nahm liars) who would.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Here's an easy solution to the tears of indignation about the wrongs shown on television.
Don't watch that crap. Then you won't get all upset and offended, you won't have to vent to all the other hobby woodies, and you will have time to work in your shop and do something constructive.
I mean really, who are the idiots here? The guy that is on TV that apparently doesn't know any better or the guy that watches and knows better, and continues to watch long enough episodes to have more than one example to cry about?
Robert
On 18 Oct 2005 21:32:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Here's an easy solution to the tears of indignation about the posts on usenet.
Don't read that crap. Then you won't get all upset and offended, you won't have to vent to all the other hobby woodies, and you will have time to work in your shop and do something constructive.
I mean really, who are the idiots here? The guy that is posting on usenet about TV wrongs, or the guy that reads the posts and continues to read them to have more weenie posts to cry about?
As I write this, it seems vaguely familiar. What does "doctor, heal thyself" mean?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I noticed that a few years back. In answer to your question, Can you trust a DIY channel host who thinks a SCMS is a RAS , another question.
Can you trust some one that turns out work that looks crap?

In all honesty what are the differences, tell me what a RAS wont do that a CMS will. Other than portability...mjh
A sliding CMS's capabilities are a subset of those of a RAS. You got the question backwards, e.g., what a CMS won't do that a RAS will. How about rip?
<<A sliding CMS's capabilities are a subset of those of a RAS. You got the question backwards, e.g., what a CMS won't do that a RAS will. How about rip?>>
Or make dadoes?
Lee

Lee Gordon wrote:

blade on the arbor. All the SCMS's I've seen have a depth stop so that you can do dados.
Dave