Can you trust a DIY channel host who thinks a SCMS is a RAS??

On 18 Oct 2005 18:26:42 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net scribbled:

There's this guy, rod or something, who has an amazingly comprehensive site on Norm. Here's the list.

we should ask him.

Oh! he has already answered.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

snip.....

sounds like some pretty good bonafides. so why doesn't he know the difference between a SCMS and a RAS, among numerous other things?

maybe some kind of dyslexia?

Reply to
bridgerfafc

In the workbench episode (#2) he lowered some 1x stock onto the blade against the fence to make a stopped cut. In addition, it was supported at the front edge of the table and was in control at all times. I saw nothing particularly horrifying about that, but I'm sure there are some nervous nellies (or Nahm liars) who would.

Reply to
LRod

Here's an easy solution to the tears of indignation about the wrongs shown on television.

Don't watch that crap. Then you won't get all upset and offended, you won't have to vent to all the other hobby woodies, and you will have time to work in your shop and do something constructive.

I mean really, who are the idiots here? The guy that is on TV that apparently doesn't know any better or the guy that watches and knows better, and continues to watch long enough episodes to have more than one example to cry about?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

In all honesty what are the differences, tell me what a RAS wont do that a CMS will. Other than portability...mjh

Reply to
mike hide

Here's an easy solution to the tears of indignation about the posts on usenet.

Don't read that crap. Then you won't get all upset and offended, you won't have to vent to all the other hobby woodies, and you will have time to work in your shop and do something constructive.

I mean really, who are the idiots here? The guy that is posting on usenet about TV wrongs, or the guy that reads the posts and continues to read them to have more weenie posts to cry about?

As I write this, it seems vaguely familiar. What does "doctor, heal thyself" mean?

Reply to
LRod

On 10/18/2005 11:15 PM snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com mumbled something about the following:

You've never made a mistake calling one piece of equipment something else?

Do you have kids? I have 5, and there are times I have to go through the whole list before I get the right name. It's REAL easy to call something the wrong thing. What should have caught it was the editing.

Reply to
Odinn

Not on TV, with a script, and the ability to re-shoot.

Not many people both know the subject and make a good presenter. But they ought to have someone on set who does know, and who would call Cut! aftter a gaff like that.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A sliding CMS's capabilities are a subset of those of a RAS. You got the question backwards, e.g., what a CMS won't do that a RAS will. How about rip?

Reply to
Pig

Isn't there a list on LRod's web site?

Reply to
Doug Miller

We don't know how well scripted these shows are, though. All of us stumble over our tongues from time to time, and if the shooting is rushed, that's what ends up being broadcast. Better if it doesn't happen, and better if it's edited out if it does happen, but life's like that.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Last contact I had with TV was some friends who let themselves be suckered onto a reality TV show last weekend (Mechannibals - it's Junkyard Wars with kitchen appliances). Even their "spontaneous hysterical outbursts" were scripted and shot two or three times, then the whole final scene and conclusion of the scene was reversed during the edit.

TV is a vile thing - that's why I've never owned one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Of course there's a big difference if it's something he did once or if he does it consistently.

Reply to
LRod

Or make dadoes?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

LRod has a website?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Actually what I remember was not quite like what OP described, see below.

Indeed there is and I do not see anything that could be the episode I remember, so evidently it was not Nahrm.

What I remember is that the worker, whoever he was, said he was going to make a series of plunge cuts onto the tablesaw blade, the blade was going to be only a fraction of in inch away from his hand and therefor alignment of the jig was very important.

So was there a pre-Nahrm or early contemporary show I might have seen and misremembered as Nahrm?

Reply to
fredfighter

I really need to start promoting that thing...

Reply to
LRod

a SCMS can do dados, albeit in multiple passes as you can't put a dado blade on the arbor. All the SCMS's I've seen have a depth stop so that you can do dados.

Dave

Reply to
David

or how about talking heads that pronounce the KKK as "KLU Klux Klan" instead of "KU Klux Klan" More say it wrong than correctly.

Dave

Reply to
David