Can you trust a DIY channel host who thinks a SCMS is a RAS??

This past week I watched a WW show on the DIY channel, hosted by Bruce Johnson. I could hardly believe what I was hearing when he referred to a DeWalt sliding CMS as a RAS. Where do they get these guys?

Dave

Reply to
David

I've heard that one from him before. There have been threads in the past about just this guy. He seems to be an actor instead of a real woodworker like norm, david, or roy. If you watch his show enough you'll see silly things like him cutting a dado 1" wide by making two passes, then putting 3/4" plywood in it for a shelf. It's obviously way too sloppy. Then when you come back from a comercial, it fits perfectly. My favorite one was when he built a rocking chair... from a kit. all the parts came pre-turned and sanded. All he did was glue it together.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

hey, gluing is hard work.... you can't expect the guy to be able to do everythinh, right?

: )

Reply to
bridger

Ok, he's an actor. That doesn't explain why the producer didn't hire a competent person to wrtie the scripts.

Reply to
fredfighter

Lol -I actually met him one time. The wife and I were out to dinner and he sat right next to us. I talked w/ him a bit later that evening when we were both leaving - nice enough guy.

What worse is that other boze on tools and techniques (the one that hosted last season - not the new guy) He actually did a bowl on a tablesaw by taking a square peice of stock and turning by hand over the blade while raising the blade. I was like you have got to be kidding me - the ER is going to get a workout after this show.

Im guessing he finally killed himself in some horrific shop accident so they had to replace him.

Reply to
Rob V

or maybe he's a bad enough actor to flub his lines...

Reply to
bridger

I hear the tenons and holes were labeled...

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Or the idiot on the "Ultimate Workshop that showed how to cut a dado with a dado blade on a TS and with the standard Guard in place. When he discovered that the 1x4 that he was cross cutting the dado into would not go past the guard he backed the wood back through the blades with the saw still running.

Reply to
Leon

Hell, I've seen Norm do worse. When he was building the four poster bed, he free handed the four arced canopy sections through the table saw while keeping the tail section of it raised about a foot off the table saw. I've never seen a worse example of kickback in the making.

Reply to
Upscale

Is that the same guy that couldn't figure out what to call a stacked dado set? I can't remember what he called it, something like a "wide saw blade thing". I'll have to start tivoing (is that a word now?) that show again just for entertainment value.

I should start my own woodworking show.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I noticed that a few years back. In answer to your question, Can you trust a DIY channel host who thinks a SCMS is a RAS , another question.

Can you trust some one that turns out work that looks crap?

Reply to
Leon

I don't see that as a bad subject for a TV show. For most of the audience that's more chair building than they're otherwise going to attempt. If it encourages even a handful to get a kit and actually make something, that has to be a good thing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Many years ago Nahrm did that too, on NYWS. (After first removing the tablesaw guard for photographic clarity.)

Nahrm lived.

Reply to
fredfighter

but, but, but Bruce is no Nahm. The gal on Freestyle Furniture is more pleasant to ogle (oh, I meant "watch") and seems supremely competent (even if it might be an act) and confident.

Dave

Reply to
David

David wrote in news:18WdnXnLroqysMjeRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

About Bruce Johnson An expert in wood refinishing, antique restoration, and home improvement, Bruce Johnson has published more than a dozen books on these topics, including Fifty Simple Ways To Save Your House, The Wood Finisher, The Weekend Refinisher, and The Official Identification and Price Guide to the Arts and Crafts Movement. His antique refinishing advice column, "Knock on Wood," runs in more than 20 antique/collectibles publications.

A rare combination of craftsman and journalist, Bruce began his career as a high school English teacher, but left teaching to set up his "Knock on Wood Antique Repair & Restoration" shop. He spent the next 10 years as a full-time professional refinisher, but eventually returned to writing. Yet, Bruce says, he won't ever be without a workbench and a couple of refinishing projects down in the basement Bruce is also the founder and director of the Arts and Crafts Conference and Antique Show held every February in Asheville, North Carolina, at the Grove Park Inn. The conference, which includes the largest Arts and Crafts antiques show, attracts more than 1500 Arts and Crafts collectors each year to its many seminars, tours, demonstrations and exhibits. Johnson is proud to have played a role in reviving interest in designers like Gustav Stickley, who founded the Arts and Crafts movement. These furnishings are treasured by such collectors as Steven Spielberg and Bruce Willis, among many others.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Patrick Conroy quoted:

I have to disagree with the article statement that the Arts and Crafts Movement was founded by Stickley. He believe he got his ideas from Ruskin and Morris. Hubbard had a big impact with the Roycrofter's as well.

John Ruskin (1819 -1900) William Morris (1834-1896) Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915) Gustav Stickley (1858-1942)

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Please cite the episode you saw that in. It's not in any of the 221 I've seen.

Reply to
LRod

I've been converting all my VHS tapes of NYW to DVD since I got my new DVD recorder at Costco a couple months ago.

I'm just now up to Norm's Highboy epsiodes (took 2).

This guy made 2 highboys out of tiger-maple - one for a prototype and one for 'taping'. I would guess that both were done in the span on a week or so (actual woodworking). AFAIK, he does it all himself (help with setups etc.)

Use common sense in the shop with power tools.

We all do stupid stuff at times - mainly because we are too dumb, too tired or short on time. I would guess that for Norm, it's the latter.

Hell, he still has all his digits!

Reply to
loutent

Hi LRod,

We both know that this never happened (I only have about 210 episodes, but all recently viewed).

The closest reality is making cove molding by sliding square stock it over the TS blade little by little - I've done this many times and it is very safe.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I recall seeing it sometime between 1989 and 1993.

Is there somewhere we can look up a list of episodes?

I remember that too, but don't remember when.

What did he make in the first episode?

Reply to
fredfighter