Can you trust a DIY channel host who thinks a SCMS is a RAS??

Page 1 of 4

This past week I watched a WW show on the DIY channel, hosted by Bruce Johnson. I could hardly believe what I was hearing when he referred to a DeWalt sliding CMS as a RAS. Where do they get these guys?
Dave
I've heard that one from him before. There have been threads in the past about just this guy. He seems to be an actor instead of a real woodworker like norm, david, or roy. If you watch his show enough you'll see silly things like him cutting a dado 1" wide by making two passes, then putting 3/4" plywood in it for a shelf. It's obviously way too sloppy. Then when you come back from a comercial, it fits perfectly. My favorite one was when he built a rocking chair... from a kit. all the parts came pre-turned and sanded. All he did was glue it together.
brian

hey, gluing is hard work.... you can't expect the guy to be able to do everythinh, right?
: )
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs writes:

I hear the tenons and holes were labeled...
brianlanning wrote:

Ok, he's an actor. That doesn't explain why the producer didn't hire a competent person to wrtie the scripts.
--

FF

On 18 Oct 2005 11:48:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

or maybe he's a bad enough actor to flub his lines...
This similar to last week's CSI Las Vegas where they pulled a crow bar from a trunk and kept calling it a tire iron throughout the show.

EXT wrote:

Or how about the mulberry tree they examined that looked suspiciously like a eucalyptus tree?
The technical screwups on CSI Los Vegas are legion.
In a recent episode of _Crossing Jordan_, set in Boston, the detective told the coroner he was going to Los Vegas to track down a suspect. The coroner said she was going with him. "Why?" he asked, "you hate Vegas." She replied, "If I have to rely on Los Vegas CSI, we'll never catch her."
--

FF

LRod wrote:
<< SNIP>>
<<As I write this, it seems vaguely familiar. What does "doctor, heal thyself" mean?
-- LRod >>
You really crack me up. I laughed my ass off after reading your post. Thanks for the lift.
Robert
Guess I wasn't the only one that noticed.

from

I don't see that as a bad subject for a TV show. For most of the audience that's more chair building than they're otherwise going to attempt. If it encourages even a handful to get a kit and actually make something, that has to be a good thing.

I agree, if its informative it might spark someones interest. The reality woodworkers are probably a much smaller market then those that they are aimed at. After all what kind of a target audience is a group of people that would pay more for their materials and spend all there spare time building something that they could have bought at IKEA for less money.
Mike M
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:12:42 +0100, Andy Dingley

Probably better than 90% of the woodworkers here. Most of us build for the satisfaction of creativity and accomplishment. There's little bragging rights in showing off a purchase from Ikea, certainly not any sense of pride.
Lol -I actually met him one time. The wife and I were out to dinner and he sat right next to us. I talked w/ him a bit later that evening when we were both leaving - nice enough guy.
What worse is that other boze on tools and techniques (the one that hosted last season - not the new guy) He actually did a bowl on a tablesaw by taking a square peice of stock and turning by hand over the blade while raising the blade. I was like you have got to be kidding me - the ER is going to get a workout after this show.
Im guessing he finally killed himself in some horrific shop accident so they had to replace him.

Or the idiot on the "Ultimate Workshop that showed how to cut a dado with a dado blade on a TS and with the standard Guard in place. When he discovered that the 1x4 that he was cross cutting the dado into would not go past the guard he backed the wood back through the blades with the saw still running.

discovered
the
running.
Hell, I've seen Norm do worse. When he was building the four poster bed, he free handed the four arced canopy sections through the table saw while keeping the tail section of it raised about a foot off the table saw. I've never seen a worse example of kickback in the making.

I've been converting all my VHS tapes of NYW to DVD since I got my new DVD recorder at Costco a couple months ago.
I'm just now up to Norm's Highboy epsiodes (took 2).
This guy made 2 highboys out of tiger-maple - one for a prototype and one for 'taping'. I would guess that both were done in the span on a week or so (actual woodworking). AFAIK, he does it all himself (help with setups etc.)
Use common sense in the shop with power tools.
We all do stupid stuff at times - mainly because we are too dumb, too tired or short on time. I would guess that for Norm, it's the latter.
Hell, he still has all his digits!
--

Someday I hope to be good enough to be cynical of
Norm Abram (ain't likely.)
Rob V wrote:

Many years ago Nahrm did that too, on NYWS. (After first removing the tablesaw guard for photographic clarity.)

Nahrm lived.
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

but, but, but Bruce is no Nahm. The gal on Freestyle Furniture is more pleasant to ogle (oh, I meant "watch") and seems supremely competent (even if it might be an act) and confident.
Dave