Can you thin Minwax Polyurethane?

Page 2 of 2

I was wondering the same thing as I read throught these. Is he thinning to restore older product, wanting to spray or what? We have a lot of answers but I don't fully understand the question.

It basically goes on like my home brew but is better. And I like the fact I don't have to mess around mixing it. Another plus is the shelf life is better than my home brew. It is very easy to use and rubs out excellent. It is just a great product imho. Buy a quart and try it. You won't be dissapointed. It comes in Gloss, Original (sheen is equivalant to Semigloss), and Satin. SH

Thanks, SH, I will.
snipped-for-privacy@sherwin.com They have been very helpful.
Dave

Thanks, I was at HD earlier and was looking at the various Minwax's products and I pick up their catalogs looking for someone there to talk to on my projects.
Thanks again.

I am assuming you have oil based polyurethane and not Minwax's water based Polycrylic. You would have been alright if you simply removed the thin film you found on the top of the liquid. The remaining solution is acceptable but you should probably strain it. The film that you found will not dissolve in mineral spirits. Once polyurethane has cured, it will not redissolve in mineral spirits. You can thin oil based polyurethane as much as you like. Thin it 20% and it helps to eliminate bubbles and it gives the wet film more of a chance to level. Thin it 50% and you have a wiping polyurethane. Thin it more and it will start to look like an oil finish in that you will have a hard time seeing a film. You can shake the can as much as you like. As stated above, thin the poly about 20% and tip off the surface of the wet film after you are done brushing.
Good Luck.

thinner and