Can you joint on a planer?

Page 3 of 3

Sun, Feb 19, 2006, 3:14pm (EST+5) .@. (stoutman) doth burble: First he partially quotes Dave Balderstone thusly: With the right jig, you can make a tool do damn near anything a different tool can do.
Then he doth put out: Really?? How would you make a jig to convert my table saw into a drill press? How about a jig that converts my palm sander into a lathe? <snip remaining dribble>
OK, here is the first paragraph of Dave's post in i's entirity:: With the right jig, you can make a tool do damn near anything a different tool can do. I imagine you could joint with a dremel if you put enough effort into it.
The operational word is "near". Both of you are ignoring that. So, yeah, I'd say you "could" make a drill press out of a table saw - something like Shopsmith did. And, yeah, you "could" probably make a small lathe out of your palm sander. Why I don't now, but I would say you could, IF you worked hard enough on it.
I'd have it all go, except I started reading both your posts, and for the fact that BOTH of you ignoredthe "near", which is the operational word. You guys have just GOT to learn to pay attention, or maybe just get laid.
JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!

Especially so, considering that before the advent of powered tools, manual tools were making most everything that we build today. It's just a question of how much a jig assists with the construction of something, not that it can't be done.

Might try mounting a lathe headstock to the table saw and drive it with a pulley from the arbor to the headstock. Drill or mill, maybe.. Can't help ya with the sander conversion.....yet.... ;-) Aloha...