Can you joint on a planer?

A jointer can snipe tool if incorrectly adjusted. and my planer doesn't snipe... :) (I know many do)

Dave

Reply to
David

With the right jig, you can make a tool do damn near anything a different tool can do. I imagine you could joint with a dremel if you put enough effort into it.

So, yes you can joint with a planer. You will need to build a sled that will hold the board on edge, and run it through the planer till you have a straight edge.

Then you will need a sled to hold the board such that the just-planed (jointed) edge is perfectly vertical, and plane one face so that you have a reference face and edge at 90 degrees to each other.

At that point, you can use your table saw to square off the other edge and your planer to flatten the board.

Then you can take some time to consider how many times you want to do this, and whether just buying a jointer makes more sense. If you're doing it occasionally, and like building jigs, this would be a perfectly reasonable scenario.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Really??

How would you make a jig to convert my table saw into a drill press?

How about a jig that converts my palm sander into a lathe?

Reply to
stoutman

Dribble? Do you mean that one could not build sleds as I described to use a planer to joint a board?

Or just that YOU couldn't do it?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I want to know how to make a jig to do the things I mentioned. AND I would like to add one more.

Since I do not have a band saw how can i build a jig to convert my jointer into a band saw?

Reply to
stoutman

Dave, Did you see my lips move on that one?? Let me know if you are confused as to who I am talking to.

Reply to
stoutman

I'd like to know that, too.

You can even move your lips if it will help you understand what I wrote.

And now, good day to you, sir. I shall not continue conversing with you.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dave,

How do you make YOUR voice do that?? "Damn near" in my book is pretty close to being "absolute".

How close can you come to making a jointer act like a bandsaw with the right jig? I doubt you will get "damn near" close. Do you think you can get "damn near" to doing it? Care to recant?

Good day sir!

Reply to
stoutman

Supposing one wants to make a circular tabletop and does not have a bandsaw. I can make a jig that allows one to use the jointer to make the circular tabletop.

ISTM you could cut any convex curve in a similar fashion. One could also make a concave curve with a jointer, but not with a tight radius.

Those would not be _my_ first choice for how to do it. But I could.

Reply to
fredfighter

What you describe would be more easily done with a router and circle jig. but like you said, not your first choice.

How would you make a jig to resaw with a jointer? :)

Reply to
stoutman

You need to join the cabal to learn that...

Reply to
Ba r r y

Is "pretty close" nearly "damn near" in your book, too?

Thanks for the weekend chuckle. Quite amusing.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Until you can tell me how to resaw a board with my jointer using a jig.

Or

How to use a jig to drill a hole using my table saw...I'm done with you.

You sir are a HUGE chuckle. Now go make some jigs Chuckles!

Reply to
stoutman

Sun, Feb 19, 2006, 3:14pm (EST+5) .@. (stoutman) doth burble: First he partially quotes Dave Balderstone thusly: With the right jig, you can make a tool do damn near anything a different tool can do.

Then he doth put out: Really?? How would you make a jig to convert my table saw into a drill press? How about a jig that converts my palm sander into a lathe?

OK, here is the first paragraph of Dave's post in i's entirity:: With the right jig, you can make a tool do damn near anything a different tool can do. I imagine you could joint with a dremel if you put enough effort into it.

The operational word is "near". Both of you are ignoring that. So, yeah, I'd say you "could" make a drill press out of a table saw - something like Shopsmith did. And, yeah, you "could" probably make a small lathe out of your palm sander. Why I don't now, but I would say you could, IF you worked hard enough on it.

I'd have it all go, except I started reading both your posts, and for the fact that BOTH of you ignoredthe "near", which is the operational word. You guys have just GOT to learn to pay attention, or maybe just get laid.

JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!

Reply to
J T

Sun, Feb 19, 2006, 6:18pm (EST+5) .@. (stoutman) now doth burble: "Damn near" in my book is pretty close to being "absolute".

Huh? Who wrote THAT book?

JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!

Reply to
J T

Especially so, considering that before the advent of powered tools, manual tools were making most everything that we build today. It's just a question of how much a jig assists with the construction of something, not that it can't be done.

Reply to
Upscale

Hell, thats simple. My jointer can do that "jig free", as long as you don't need pieces longer than half an inch or thicker than 1/8. ;-)

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

plane? Im not even sure how those things work. Regular hand plane is really good enough for me. I have an old rusty one that I need to rehabilitate, or maybe buy a new one.

Reply to
dnoyeB

There seem to be some misconceptions here. A jointer is specifically designed to make boards flat. A planer makes opposite sides parallel. If the board isn't flat when you start, it will only duplicate the shape of the face, bumps and all. Boards need to be jointed first, then planed to thickness. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Yeah, JOAT said to "Make a planer sled" in his post. This will allow you to effectively joint with a planer. It works, and it gives you a

12.5" jointer :)

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed