Can you joint on a planer?

Page 2 of 3

Its gonna take 3 machines, unless you want to square lumber by traditional means, which is fine by me, but someone once told me that if one of the woodworkers from 100 or 200 years ago had access to power tools.........they would have jumped on them fast. I tend to agree. Not to put down the purists out there, but power tools usually make more sense, especially for mundane tasks such as squaring lumber.
Running board on their edge through a planner? If anyone runs a board (rough or S4S for that matter) on its edge through a planner..........anywhere near me....I'm gonna take a few steps back, like about 50.
Using a sled to joint on a planer.......sounds a lot better than it works.
The bottom line is this: if you want your projects to fit and look great you have to start with damn near perfectly squared lumber on 4 sides.
The only way you are going to convert rough lumber or S2S etc to perfect square with "power tools" is by using 3 different tools. A jointer, a planner, and a table saw.
A jointer first; you flatten one face of the board. A planner second; you run the board you just flattened on one side through the planner with the face you flatttened on the jointer down. When you are done flattening the second face in the planner, its back to the jointer to square one edge. When that is done you run the squared edge against the fence on a table saw and rip cut the final edge square.
That's the way you square lumber accurately. There really isn't a cheap way out that delivers excellent results.
If cash is short, you're better off buying fun (less expensive) tools like a router first and purchasing your hardwoods from a lumber store that will square the wood for you (at a cost of course). At least then you will have sqaured stock to begin with and your projects will turn out better.
You can set yourself up for failure by using stock that isn't square. Its easy for someone starting out to think they just aren't any good at this stuff because they're working with stock that isn't square to begin with. The projects they create don't measure up to what they hoped for. They're liable to think they just don't have the knack when it has nothing to do with their abilities....sadly they may give up the hobby as a result.
Its like a guy who buys a cheap guitar with terrible action and gives up because it's too hard to play & learn.....when all the time the cheap guitar is to blame. Had he started out with a decent instrument, it wouldn't have been so hard to play.
Don't set yourself up for failure........use square lumber........if you don't have the funds to buy a table saw and the more boring and expensive tools (IE jointer & planner) right now.... purchase lumber that is square and start saving your pennies for these three tools. What order should you buy them? I think everyone would agree table saw first, then you'd get some differences of opionion as to what to buy second and third. I'd buy the planer second and start using prepared S2S lumber instead of S4S which would be a little cheaper and then I'd have more pennies to stock away to buy the jointer last.
My $ 0.02,
RRRangerPaul

Add pictures here
βœ–
Fri, Feb 17, 2006, 10:40pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Ranger Paul) <snip> Using a sled to joint on a planer.......sounds a lot better thanit works. <snip>
Ever try one? Mine does an excellent job.
JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!
Add pictures here
βœ–
stryped wrote:

That will give you one edge parrallel to the other. If the reference edge is not straight, the 'jointed' edge will not be straight either.
If the board to be jointed is firmly mounted to a sled that has a straight reference face, then that would work.
For small jobs jointing with a hand plane is easy and fun.
--

FF

Add pictures here
βœ–

No. The very different machines. A surface planer will snipe. A jointer produces a 90-degree straight edge which a planer can not produce. If you must decide between two machines I'd buy the surface planer and joint using a hand jointer (plane). Hand surface planing is very time-consuming and requires more skill than using a hand plane.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Phisherman wrote:

While the "correct" answer is no you cannot use a planer to edge joint, in some instances you can. Several times I've gang-jointed narrow boards in a planer. The edges have to be pretty square and straight to begin with and it's probably not a very good idea for boards wider than a few inches. It's also a good way to quickly produce a bunch of narrow boards that need to be exactly the same width.
I well understand the problems in achieving a perfect 90 degree edge using such a method, but for narrow boards ganged together that are square (or nearly square) to begin with, the results are pretty good and may be perfectly good for the application.
Joe Barta
Add pictures here
βœ–
Phisherman wrote:

A jointer can snipe tool if incorrectly adjusted. and my planer doesn't snipe... :) (I know many do)
Dave
Add pictures here
βœ–

With the right jig, you can make a tool do damn near anything a different tool can do. I imagine you could joint with a dremel if you put enough effort into it.
So, yes you can joint with a planer. You will need to build a sled that will hold the board on edge, and run it through the planer till you have a straight edge.
Then you will need a sled to hold the board such that the just-planed (jointed) edge is perfectly vertical, and plane one face so that you have a reference face and edge at 90 degrees to each other.
At that point, you can use your table saw to square off the other edge and your planer to flatten the board.
Then you can take some time to consider how many times you want to do this, and whether just buying a jointer makes more sense. If you're doing it occasionally, and like building jigs, this would be a perfectly reasonable scenario.
djb
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

Really??
How would you make a jig to convert my table saw into a drill press?
How about a jig that converts my palm sander into a lathe?
<snip remaining dribble>
Add pictures here
βœ–

Dribble? Do you mean that one could not build sleds as I described to use a planer to joint a board?
Or just that YOU couldn't do it?
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
βœ–

I want to know how to make a jig to do the things I mentioned. AND I would like to add one more.
Since I do not have a band saw how can i build a jig to convert my jointer into a band saw?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave, Did you see my lips move on that one?? Let me know if you are confused as to who I am talking to.
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm

I'd like to know that, too.
You can even move your lips if it will help you understand what I wrote.
And now, good day to you, sir. I shall not continue conversing with you.
βœ–
Dave,
<reinserted Dave dribble below>

How do you make YOUR voice do that?? "Damn near" in my book is pretty close to being "absolute".
How close can you come to making a jointer act like a bandsaw with the right jig? I doubt you will get "damn near" close. Do you think you can get "damn near" to doing it? Care to recant?
Good day sir!
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/index.htm
βœ–
stoutman wrote:

Supposing one wants to make a circular tabletop and does not have a bandsaw. I can make a jig that allows one to use the jointer to make the circular tabletop.
ISTM you could cut any convex curve in a similar fashion. One could also make a concave curve with a jointer, but not with a tight radius.
Those would not be _my_ first choice for how to do it. But I could.
--

FF

Add pictures here
βœ–

What you describe would be more easily done with a router and circle jig. but like you said, not your first choice.
How would you make a jig to resaw with a jointer? :)

Add pictures here
βœ–

Is "pretty close" nearly "damn near" in your book, too?
Thanks for the weekend chuckle. Quite amusing.
--
<
http://www.balderstone.ca/stfu.jpg

With credit to Sgt Stryker's Daily Briefing at
βœ–

What happened to "I shall not continue conversing with you" ???
Until you can tell me how to resaw a board with my jointer using a jig.
Or
How to use a jig to drill a hole using my table saw...I'm done with you.
You sir are a HUGE chuckle. Now go make some jigs Chuckles!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hell, thats simple. My jointer can do that "jig free", as long as you don't need pieces longer than half an inch or thicker than 1/8. ;-)

Add pictures here
βœ–
Sun, Feb 19, 2006, 6:18pm (EST+5) .@. (stoutman) now doth burble: <snip> "Damn near" in my book is pretty close to being "absolute".<snip> Huh? Who wrote THAT book?
JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!
Add pictures here
βœ–

You need to join the cabal to learn that...
Add pictures here
βœ–