Can you identify the type of wood on this (bathroom) vanity

Vanity is probably 50+ years old. I would like to identify the wood type:

1a. Vanity top - underside

http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Vanity_top_underside-new.jpg http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Vanity_top_underside2-new.jpg (Note the strip at the bottom is the natural unstained color of the wood)

1b. Vanity top - top side Here is a shot of part of the vanity top where some of the finish has worn off

http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Vanity_top_topside.jpg2. Here is the backside of one of the doors (I'm not sure if it is the same wood as the top)

http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Vanity_door-new.jpgThanks for the help!!!

Reply to
blueman

... Birch plainsawn ply

... No. Luaun (sometimes known as "Philippine mahogany" altho it's not related to the real mahoganies)

--

Reply to
dpb

Just curious. What makes you say ply rather than real full-thickness wood. Looking at the rough edges (around the sink cutout), it doesn't "look" like plywood (or at least like any modern version of plywood).

OK. I have heard of Luan plywood, but this again looks like solid wood and not plywood - is that possible?

Reply to
blueman

Birch - Guessing plywood. A lot of vanity and other cabinets built with that material.

Reply to
RonB

Solid-core (cabinet ply). I didn't look at anything except one face shot owing to very slow dialup. It's ply veneer on the face. Look more carefully and I suspect you'll be able to see the thin surfaces. Look at an end instead of a side and you'll likely be able to see the core strips as well (assuming they're not faced or something).

Yes, that's possible altho again could be a solid-core ply.

--

Reply to
dpb

Concur.

Concur.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I agree re Philippine mahogany and you are *very* unlikely to have solid wood rather than ply unless you live in Hawaii...solid Philippine mahogany is (was) common there.

Reply to
dadiOH

On 3/3/2010 7:37 AM dpb spake thus:

Ackshooly, it's spelled "lauan".

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

If you look at the picture of the back of the door you can see plywood, which looks like it may have also been used as edging/banding?

I agree about being a dead ringer for Luan veneered plywood.

Reply to
Swingman

That reminds me of something...something about a hatch to the head on a tuna boat...

Reply to
Robatoy

The old blind carpenter joke ...

Reply to
Swingman

Yup.

Reply to
Robatoy

HEY BUDDY!. You're offending Niel.....

Reply to
Dudley Hewitt Squat

Yep....quick and painless. I need two myself and Lowes or Home Depot is looking better all the time.

SonomaProducts.com wrote: Carefully dismantle enitire vanity with long

Reply to
Pat Barber