Can you identify the type of wood on this (bathroom) vanity

Vanity is probably 50+ years old. I would like to identify the wood type:
1a. Vanity top - underside
http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Vanity_top_underside-new.jpg
http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Vanity_top_underside2-new.jpg
(Note the strip at the bottom is the natural unstained color of the wood)
1b. Vanity top - top side Here is a shot of part of the vanity top where some of the finish has worn off
http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Vanity_top_topside.jpg
2. Here is the backside of one of the doors (I'm not sure if it is the same wood as the top)
http://173.76.230.177:8080/public/Vanity_door-new.jpg
Thanks for the help!!!
blueman wrote:

Birch plainsawn ply

No. Luaun (sometimes known as "Philippine mahogany" altho it's not related to the real mahoganies)

Just curious. What makes you say ply rather than real full-thickness wood. Looking at the rough edges (around the sink cutout), it doesn't "look" like plywood (or at least like any modern version of plywood).

OK. I have heard of Luan plywood, but this again looks like solid wood and not plywood - is that possible?
blueman wrote:

Solid-core (cabinet ply). I didn't look at anything except one face shot owing to very slow dialup. It's ply veneer on the face. Look more carefully and I suspect you'll be able to see the thin surfaces. Look at an end instead of a side and you'll likely be able to see the core strips as well (assuming they're not faced or something).

Yes, that's possible altho again could be a solid-core ply.
blueman wrote:

I agree re Philippine mahogany and you are *very* unlikely to have solid wood rather than ply unless you live in Hawaii...solid Philippine mahogany is (was) common there.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 3/3/2010 9:44 AM, blueman wrote:

If you look at the picture of the back of the door you can see plywood, which looks like it may have also been used as edging/banding?
I agree about being a dead ringer for Luan veneered plywood.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

That reminds me of something...something about a hatch to the head on a tuna boat...
On 3/3/2010 4:39 PM, Robatoy wrote:

The old blind carpenter joke ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Yup.

HEY BUDDY!. You're offending Niel.....

Concur.
Concur.
On 3/3/2010 7:37 AM dpb spake thus:

Ackshooly, it's spelled "lauan".

- a Usenet "apology"
Birch - Guessing plywood. A lot of vanity and other cabinets built with that material.
This is Luan. There is a very standard method for refinishing Luan. Carefully go around the entire edge of the vanity with a razor knife to break any caulking seal. Carefully pry the entire vanity away from the wall and floor. Carefully dismantle enitire vanity with long swinging glances of a 2 lb sledge hammer. Carefully sweep up the debris and place in a dumpster. Drive to Home Depot, find the bathroom vanity isle and select a new vanity.

Yep....quick and painless. I need two myself and Lowes or Home Depot is looking better all the time.
SonomaProducts.com wrote: Carefully dismantle enitire vanity with long