Can you help me with a jointer guard.

UI am tryign to find or make something for my old craftsman. It is similar to the one in these picturs:
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id 12
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id 23
Parts are no longer available. ANy help would be appreciated!

So what's the problem? You have a picture to go by, and you have your jointer in front of you. You can always go to anyplace that sells jointers to see what they do from the factory. What more can you need? At some point you just have to put your hand to things and quit asking questions about how/why/when/if.
Just get a piece of wood - any kind of wood, and make the piece. What good does it do you to gather these tools if you're not going to step out and try to use them?
Stryped... you have a long history of beating things to death with never ending questions here. Give yourself a chance to succeed and just give it a go. When you're done you can post a picture on a web site and say "look what I built!".
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Thank you, Mike.
--
Every complicated problem has a simple solution that doesn't work.

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
stryped wrote:

The first picture shows quite clearly how to make it...
1. Cut a piece of plywood like one shown 2. Mount ply on bolt or stud sized to fit hole in jointer 3. Stick stud/bolt in hole
--

dadiOH
____________________________

...with a spring attached.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I guess that is my main question. How do I attach a spring for the guard. I cant see one in the pictures. Mike Marlow wrote:

You need to put a spring on there that moves the guard back into position. There are several ways you could do it. Go look at a jointer that has a guard on there and see how it works.
Try a little ingenuity. I think to have any level of personal success as a woodworker, even a hobbyist, you need to be a little creative. Now is a good time to start trying.

Think about it. Take 1/2 of the time you spend posting un-thought through questions here, and devote that time to thinking about something as simple as a spring on a guard. I'll guarantee you can come up with a perfectly acceptable method.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
stryped wrote:

You attach one end of the spring to the guard and the other end of the spring to the machine.
dadiOH wrote:

omg which end of the bolt goes in the hole? :-P
stryped wrote:

Here is a link with an example of a homemade guard:
http://tinyurl.com/fjsur
Think it would be hard to get this to work on it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/GUARD-CRAFTSMAN-JOINTER-PLANER-113-232210_W0QQitemZ4365847739QQcmdZViewItem
RayV wrote:

:YOU ARE BUYING A NEW GUARD FOR A CRAFTASMAN 6 1/8" JOINTER PLANER . :GUARD IS MADE OF PLASTIC WITH A STEEL MOUNT/PIVOT PIN . PIN IS 3/8" :DIAMATER X 3/4" LONG THEN STEPS DOWN TO 1/4" DIAMATER X 1/2" LONG . :OVERALL LENGTH OF PIN IS 1 1/4" . GUARD IS 7 7/8" WIDE X 8 3/8" LONG .
Does your have a 3/8" or slightly larger hole 3/4" deep? Does that hoe then step down to 1/4" diameter for another 1/2" or so?
And how do you expect to be able to do woodworking if you couldn't figure out how to ask yourself those questions?

stryped wrote:

Go here http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/woodindx.htm and look at the illustrations of planer guards, "bridge guards" and the PUWER 98 regulations. UK practice is not to use a sprung swinging guard like the USA, but to have an easily adjustable rigid guard that's set up before the cut.
The _huge_ disadvantage of a swinging guard is that they're only a "guard" for an impact from directly above. If you feed your fingers into them the same way the wood travels, then they'll swing obligingly out of the way...