Can This Furniture Be Divided?

I have a tall chest of drawers (6'-8 drawers). It's one piece and heavy and unweildy to move and was wondering if it can be seperated for moving. Tehre are 3 drawers on the bottom then sort of a lip then 5 more on top. On the back of the piece the backing is not 1 panel but seperate ones on the top and bottom. Is the top and bottom glued together generally or are there screws somewhere(don't see any) to seperate it if possible. btw, it's made by Henredon.

Thank-you

it's a little bit like this but taller.

Woody

together. Probably below the bottom drawer on the top half or above the top drawer on the bottom half.

Reply to
Leon

Take the drawers out below and above the base/top unit look inside and see if there isn't a machine screw/threaded insert connection between the two. Most furniture manufacturers make them in sections to facilitate moving and shipping, and too use each particular case for more than one configuration.

I made a Pennsylvania tall chest very similar to the picture but a little larger and it can be separated. Can't remember if I did it because it was commonly done or because it seemed to make sense. Maybe both.

Additionally, you can go to a furniture store that stocks Henredon and ask.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

It is difficult to tell from here, even with a picture. It is likely that the top and bottom were separate at some point of construction, but whether or not they can be separated now is a different question.

I suggest that you pull out the drawers. Look for so crew heads that might be holding the top and bottom together. The other thing you might look for is to see if there is any break in the finish where the top and bottom are joined together. Even if you can remove any screws holding the parts together, they may be firmly attached by glue or finsih that seeped in between the parts.

Reply to
Robert Haar

pieces connected together. I'll pile on and also suggest looking to see if there are screws joining the two parts.

todd

Reply to
todd