Can these (non-paint-grade) cabinets be "warmed" up a little?

Just purchased a ten year old home. Three years ago, previous owner had Sears come in and replace the kitchen cabinet fronts and refinish them. The material is similar to white laminate, but with a very, very slight "texture" - they're not slick and shiny, in other words; they have a matte finish. I'm not crazy about them, although they are paneled, at least. Could I "warm" these up a little bit by applying some type of glaze to the indents around the raised panel so it looks like they've been somewhat "antiqued"? Will it stick to this material? What mat'l would I have to use or what process? Thank you so much for any help.

Reply to
arline

That sounds an awful like "thermofoil" finished... which is mdf that shrink wrapped in a plastic coating at high temps.

I don't think you will be able to get a finsih to stick to that finish(plastic).

I would consider buying a door(s) that is closer to what you want.

arl> Just purchased a ten year old home. Three years ago, previous owner

Reply to
Pat Barber

Not much info to go on but they might be thermofoil. Check to see if the raised panel is a separate piece of wood. Thermofoil is applied to a routed mdf panel. Be they laminate or thermofoil there's not much you can do other than live with them or replace.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to