Can't lift grime of table saw

Page 1 of 4
Hi,
I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in a garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to lift the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime seems to move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger), but it's just too sticky to come up. Here are two pictures:
http://freeboundaries.com/grime1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/grime2.jpg
I have tried:
Scotch Brite Steel wool Sand paper
in combinations with:
WD40 Goof off Acetone dishwasher soap baking soda mineral spirits
Nothing works!
Any further ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Sam

wire brush
In article

I'm a volunteer with a charity called "Tool With a Mission". We collect old, unwanted tools, refurbish them and ship to Africa, where they are used, with some training, to give someone a trade they can get a living out of.
Tools come in, often in a terrible state with all sorts of detritus on them, apart from rust, including paint, tar, glue and who knows what. (Sometimes it's better not to give too much thought to what the goo might be)
My favourite tool for cleaning stuff up is an angle grinder fitted with one of those heavy-duty, twisted-wire, cup brushes. It's not been defeated yet but do wear proper eye protection, (I prefer a full face visor because I don't like the stinging sensation when bits of wire brush hit my cheek) having a piece of wire brush pulled out of your eyeball at the local hospital is a rather unpleasant procedure.

Formula 409 and Fantastik sometimes do what others can't. Interesting stuff. Oven cleaner? Roofing tar remover, for ladders, tools, etc. Machinists use varieties of degreasers.
A trick the wife showed me, when *nothing* would get deep machine grease out of my hands: Scrub in vegetable oil!!! effingAmazing! Similarly, scrubbing with motor oil, ATF, or some such might help as well.
The wire brush suggestion is not without merit either. Mebbe a spatula, or even a razor blade, or any sharpened sheetmetal or shim stock, so you just have a thin layer left to deal with chemically.
--
EA

> Thanks!
Sam Takoy wrote:

When all else fails lacquer thinner usually works.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

To your list I would add:
- Simple Green - Automotive tar cleaner - A good citrus-based bicycle chain cleaner
I doubt if a simple household citrus cleaner will do the job, based on what you have done. The chain cleaner is meant to be a soak, then scrub cleaner. Give it a try with a scotchbrite or even a wire brush. The last time I had to clean the gooey preservative off of a new tool table top the bike chain cleaner practically floated it off after a 10-20 minute soak.
Good Luck
RonB
Gasoline and an effective scrubber.
Sonny
It may be down in the aluminum, which is slightly porous. I'd say just keep trying different solvents.
Don't know if Goof Off or Goo Gone has been mentioned yet.
Steve

(sarcasm on) Great idea on a dry, wintry day (sarcasm off). if you must use something flammable, try kerosene instead.
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:56:41 -0500, Sam Takoy wrote:

Regular ol' gas might be worth a shot.

Outdoors for that, though.

I can't tell anything from the pictures-- but if your finger 'moves it around' - try a Magic Eraser. [follow the directions- they are to be used dry]
Actually- have you tried all your abrasives dry-- or just with solvents. Sometimes dry is better.
Jim
On 12/31/2009 12:56 PM, Sam Takoy wrote:

I've looked at your photos, read what you've tried, and read the suggestions offered - and if none of these things works, I'll suggest that you use the proceeds of the saw's sale toward the purchase of a brand new high-end cabinet saw. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

If it moves but doesn't come up, try a razor blade scraper.
There's another cleaner that wasn't in your list, that often works for me; waterless hand cleaner. Lanolin is the old standby, and the imitation-lanolin waterless hand cleaners are OK substitutes. Wipe off with a damp rag afterward.

Kerosene. BTDT. Followup with a good degreaser (I used Simple Green) Like someone else mentioned........gasoline. But I think Kerosene is safer.
Max

NEVER use gasoline for a cleaning solvent.TOO risky. a spark could set off the vapors.Don't be stupid.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Gasoline AND a propane torch!!!!
Just kidding. Really. I was kidding.
On 12/31/2009 4:23 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree, for city folks ... but go try to sell that to a real farm boy.
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Or a mechanic. I usta use gasoline to clean my hands...

Leaded? That would explain a lot. (just kidding, just kidding)
Max