Can't identify wood

This question is for all those who have worked with reclaimed wood and have a few clues as to what kind of wood it is you are using.
My kid sent me a load of reclaimed 'pallet wood'. 2X4X 6ft long, and unplaned. Each 2x4 is fairly light as in not as heavy as spruce/pine but heavier than cedar. I split one on the BS and the grain is uniform, knot free and a white/yellow color with very little color variation. One 2x4 has what appears to be insect holes. All of these 2x4s are as straight as can be with no twists, warps, cups, etc. This last part is what is really throwing me off, because this stuff has been sitting out side in all weather for some time.
Pete
Hmmmm....could it be Poplar?
Regards 9 finger Jer

snipped-for-privacy@mts.net wrote:

Send a small section to the National Forest Products Lab in Wisconsin. It will take a few weeks, but you will have a definative answer, and all it costs is shipping - one way.
Their URL is
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us /

I have some wood that came from Korea that sounds as you describe. Has an odd sweet smell when cut. If it is the same, it does not stain well, but looks OK natural and takes paint OK. I have no idea what the species is.

Might it be Radiata Pine? It's a fast growing, very bland colored softwood.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Tue, Dec 13, 2005, 1:33am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mts.net doth wonder: This question is for all those who have worked with reclaimed wood and have a few clues as to what kind of wood it is you are using. My kid sent me a load of reclaimed 'pallet wood' <snip>
That's a no brainer. It's popular wood. Free wood is always popular.
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

If the pallets originated in Manitoba, they're almost certainly poplar.

Of course, not "poplar," but poplar.