Can't get straight cut

I was cutting through a small box, abot 10" L by 6" W on a table saw. Whoever saw the procedure from Freedman's book on box making, that's about what I was doing: Make a cut on long side, tape it, shim it, do the other long side, tape it, shim it , and then do the short sides. Problem is, the cut on the short side cuts into the already cut long side - in other words, I can't get the flush cut after cutting all four sides. The fence didn't move, I tried both ripping and crosscutting blades (Freud, so that shouldn't be the issue). I also used a jig, similar to the one for tennon cutting, to provide adequate support. Basically, the only reason I can think of is that the box surface that presses against the fence during the cut is not perfectly flat, preventing the flush cut on all sides. Can you think of anything else causing this?
snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

You might try this: Don't cut all the way through the box with your table saw. It sounds like the shims you're putting in may be the culprit putting things out of alignment. If you make your cut about a 1/16 of an inch shallow and finish it with a dovetail or thin kerf japanese saw, it should solve the problem. You'll have to do a little extra sanding on the edges, but it should be minimal.
snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

What you stated and also if the fence is not perfectly parallel to the blade.
Leon wrote:

Thanks to all for their suggestions, however, as it turned out, this was the problem. When I re-aligned the fence, the cut went almost perfectly flush. The fence was misaligned a degree or two, enough to screw up the cut. I did align it a few weeks ago, but didn't think I had to do it this often. From now on, I'll check the alignment before each important cut.

If you are having to align the fence that often and really enjoying wood working I strongly suggest that you upgrade your fence. It has be a few years since I have had to realign my fence. You will not believe how much of an improvement that will make.

As you pointed out, the position of the cut is based on the relative position of the top and the fence. Use a sled - not the fence. In addition, as Martin pointed out, don't cut all the way through and finish it with a flush saw and a plane.
Dave
On 17 Aug 2006 20:19:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

As others recommended, partial depth cuts should do it, if the fence/blade/table are all correctly aligned..
OTOH, jobs like this are why they make band saws.. *g*
Mac