http://picasaweb.google.com/TonySivori/House#5398785401940746434
--
Tony Sivori
Tony Sivori wrote:

I don't think it's either.
--

-MIKE-

Certainly not oak.

Likely Birch, could be (soft?) maple, and possibly poplar/tulip.
Robatoy wrote:

Ding! on the Birch. (Where was my brain?) I think you're right about that, but it doesn't look like Poplar to me. That door looks like Birch ply.
--

-MIKE-

The poplar thing I mentioned is because I have seen poplar do some birchy things, in grain and color. Not likely that it is poplar.
Robatoy wrote:

True. Poplar can be the cameleon of woods, depending on from where and how it's cut. I never can seem to get a piece without a runny nose. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I use a lot of poplar. It machines beautifully, paints beautifully in the pigment of your imagination and is dimensionally very stable and cheap. Never had any nose issues with it, unlike teak and such. Padauk messes with my eyes. One of my guys' hands turn purple when he touches/sands oak.
Robatoy wrote:

Weird about the purple. I second everything you said about Poplar.
The runny nose thing... I was referring to the green streaks.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I get that too. I think it's the tannin in the wood that causes it.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Tell the guy with purple hands to do a whole body cleanse. He's probably picking up the tanning and the ammonia coming out of his pores is turning him purple. He needs to _detox_!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight

I only get purple hand from mahogany. I'd have that guy's body chemistry checked - it's fooked up.
Okay, I'm back, and found this - it does seem to be a function of body chemistry. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=438635

I use a lot of poplar. It machines beautifully, paints beautifully in the pigment of your imagination and is dimensionally very stable and cheap. Never had any nose issues with it, unlike teak and such. Padauk messes with my eyes. One of my guys' hands turn purple when he touches/sands oak.
After a day of handling green oak around the mill, the guys hands will be almost black, most use lemon juice to bleach their hands back to a normal color.
basilisk
-MIKE- wrote:

Thanks. I'm missing a small cabinet door, and I want try to make a replacement. The cabinets are mid 1950's vintage, very plain but decent quality.
--
Tony Sivori

I 'third' the ID as birch. I'll go further and say 'birch with a pecan finish'.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Thanks for the added information. If the replacement door works out, I may try to refinish the existing doors.
--
Tony Sivori
Tony Sivori wrote:

Can you tell if that door is plywood. I can't see enough detail on the edges to tell for sure.
If it's simply a piece of plywood with beveled (or curved) edge, you're is good shape. You can use the cut-offs of plywood to play around with the finish until you get it just right.
Might also give you a good excuse to take all the doors off, give them a chemical stripper bath, and refinish all of them. Well... then you might as well do the face frames. :-)
oops, sorry.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

I'm almost certain that the doors are cabinet grade plywood with two cabinet grade sides. The doors are flat and plain with only a beveled edge. Looking at the edges, I can see the thin veneer layer.
I'm new to woodworking, so even this simple project is big to me. Especially refinishing all the doors.
But I'm more than willing to try to learn a new skill to save the money of replacing them.
--
Tony Sivori
On 10/31/2009 12:56 PM Tony Sivori spake thus:

Yes. The first question is, why do you want to refinish the doors in the first place?
Are they in bad shape? Surface dirty? (If so, then they need cleaning, not refinishing.)
Is the surface scarred? Then you might have a case for refinishing. However, judging by that picture, they're in very good shape.
Do you not like the color? Then you may have to refinish.
If the existing finish is just a little dingy in places--maybe a little water damage here and there, missing finish in spots--then it might just need some spot retouching, not refinishing.
What I'm getting at is that refinishing wood is, in most cases, something to be avoided at all costs. Think about it: the first problem is getting the old finish off. This means using nasty poisonous chemical strippers; really no other way to do it. Then you've got to somehow scrape off the majority of the gunk (dissolved old finish), making sure you don't embed it in every nook, cranny and corner. Then you need to somehow smooth the surface, probably by sanding, in such a way that you remove the last remnants of the old finish *without* gouging or cupping the surface or sanding though the face veneer.
It is possible to have things like this stripped at a commercial facility that will basically dunk them in a huge tank of stripper, and basically deliver you stripped, ready-to-finish doors. (Although I don't know how well plywood panels will hold up in such a process without warping or delaminating.) And that'll cost $$$, of course.
If you somehow get through all this without screwing up (very easy to do), then you've got to stain the doors, taking care to get a consistent color without streaks or dark or light patches. Then seal the surface. Then apply several coats of clear finish.
So you might be biting off more than you want to chew here.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

Did you read the whole thread?