Can sanding substitute for planing?

I have 2 30"x24" panels (made of three pieces each) that I need to surface. They are 13/16" and will probably end up a bit under 3/4"
The lumber yard will do it for $20, but they want to sand rather than plane. They claim on small reductions that sanding works out better than planing.
Does this make any sense?
since if you were doing it in your home shop, standard procedure is to run it through a planer, THEN sand it, so the net result is the same. Let them do it as they suggested.
dave
Toller wrote:

Yes
Alan Bierbaum
web site: http://www.calanb.com
Yes... Depending on the grain of the wood, thickness sanding will prevent tearout .
Bob S.

thicknesser and guaranteing zero snipe on a finished board through that would be verrrry difficult.
When I was making cabinet doors, not radically different dimensions, I used my Stanley 80 scraper for most of the surfacing.
Bernard R

With a heavy machine, a light cut may not remove enough wood to eliminate the marking from the infeed roll.
John Martin