Can make Dining Table?

Can we make dining table as we want(talking about style)? if yes, then which on is better whether buying ready made or making it....

Reply to
dgoddard83

Making a dining room table can be as challenging and and as simple as you can imagine. Not really a novice project though. Buying one doesn't cost as much as the wood would cost should you decide to make one.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yes, you have permission Depends on how good you are. Making is usually better.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But it does take longer. Sometimes quite a bit longer.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Flush door, saw horses, done.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:nAahl.12212$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

That 2 1/8" hole in the middle is a cup holder!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

ffdc.sbc.com:

I want to know why home made stuff is always three times the price, and takes a ton of time to finish. Yea, it's just the right size, shape, features and all that, but it's a good thing this is a hobby!

Oh, yes, it does impress your friends when you get it done. That's worth something.

Reply to
cwo4cno7325

innews:nAahl.12212$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

I can make 100 tables much cheaper a piece, than make just one custom table. When you make all the jigs and setups, it is almost as easy to make 2 or 3 at a time. Factories buy (wood, glue, finish, hardware) in quantity and have more sophisticated machines that replace expensive human labor.

One of my 2009 projects will be a round walnut dining table, 1800's or Shaker style. I'm not sure of the details yet.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yep, took me 6 years, for example, just to find exactly the blonde hard wood I wanted. Then it cost me more than an Ikea kit would've :-D

Then again, you never get complimented on an Ikea kit set table.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

dgoddard83 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@homeimprovementbanter.com:

The Ministry of Tables only regulation is that if said table is made of Cherry, user will not stain.

Other than that, you may make table as you like.

Reply to
Larrybud

Correct, cherry tables must be painted black.

Reply to
Ministry of Tables

Black paint????? I thought all was needed was to dip in a vat of ink, =

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

On one of the home improvement shows a few years ago,they showed people who sold their homes and what they liked about the home, then the new owners and their plans for the home (usually two mutually exclusive opinions). On one of the shows, the elderly lady selling the house proudly showed off her kitchen and how happy she was with her cabinets. She crowed, "they come all the way from Sweden." Silly me, I bought the comment until the new owners came in, and with a sledge hammer made the comment, "sorry [name], the Ikea cabinets are history.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That concludes the official statement.

Please click on this link:

Reply to
B A R R Y

6.ffdc.sbc.com:

Your comparison is probably not apples to apples. The purchased, low cost furniture, is likely made from MDF/particleboard with a vinyl veneer. Factory made in the far east. Home made is likely solid wood from a native species. If you were to purchase a similar table as you can make, you would likely pay more than what you have invested. I think the Moser brand of furniture is similar to what a hobby woodworker would make, plus or minus. The cost of that brand would rival your cost. Yet its purchased but not for 1/3 of your home made product.

Reply to
russellseaton1

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

Been staying in a house while in Austin building another. The house I'm staying in has "top 'o the line" Ikea cabinets throughout that were installed about five years ago.

Now, I know a thing or two about cabinets. :)

Thanks, but no thanks!

Reply to
Swingman

And you do build quality furniture like that mission style dining room table you built and plans that I cannibalized for my outdoor garden table.

Reply to
Upscale