Can I use this?

I am wanting to get into woodworking and maybe make some cabinets for my garage. My dad works for a wood flooring company and has scrap wood strips about 3/4 inch think and 3 1/2 in wide.
Can I use this for my purpses? What else?

Oak, maple or something similar ? Yes, they'd be very useful.
However they're narrow. They'll be good used crossways for shelves, but I'd suggest buying some wider timber for making the uprights in one piece. You'll find it easier.
If they're machined on the edges (most of this flooring is) then they'll join easily. Otherwise you'll want to look up the noble art of "edge jointing". You'll also be needing some glue and lots of clamps.
As long as they're solid and not laminate, they should be good. Some of the newer flooring is beveled at the edges and you might have to plain it down a bit to eliminate it.
stryped wrote:

Fri, Nov 11, 2005, 6:31am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (stryped) only drops one boot: I am wanting to get into woodworking and maybe make some cabinets for my garage. My dad works for a wood flooring company and has scrap wood strips about 3/4 inch think and 3 1/2 in wide. Can I use this for my purpses? What else?
What else? Maybe how long? You'd look pretty stoopid with 6" tall cabinets.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green

Hardwood? A friend was looking for a friend of his and caught up to him taking a truckload to the dump. It was the ends from hardwood flooring for semi trucks being manufactured. His friend waited until he went home for his large trailer, and the wood never made it to the dump. He now has a room divider, a kitchen counter top and a large bar.
I'm too old now, but if I started again and was born with a business mind, I'd do research into just what does get thrown out from large businesses and go into the recycling business big-time; not glass and metal, but wood and plastic.