Can I use the Delta 36-T30 fence on my Craftsman TS?

I have the stock fence on a 1980's (?) Craftsman 10" table saw.

This picture shows the table saw with the stock fence but for some reason t he fence rail is not present. You can see the holes in the edge of the top where the fence rail would mount.

This picture shows the same style saw with the fence rail, but without the fence.

Combine the 2 pictures and you'll have an idea of what my saw looks like.

However, because my shop is embarrassingly small, I do not have the table e xtension installed to the left of the blade, just on the right hand side.

I was looking at the Delta 36-T30 fence as an upgrade, but the rail system length (57-1/2 Inches) seems to indicate that I would need the left hand ex tension installed, unless (uh oh!) I can cut the Delta rail system and only use the fence on the right hand side of the blade.

Is that doable?

I should note that I was in the local Woodcraft store the other day, discus sing this with one of the guys there and another customer overheard me. Tha t customer mentioned that he had just cut the rail on his fence for the sam e reason, but it wasn't the Delta fence or a Craftsman saw. That indicates to me that the concept of cutting the rail is not completely crazy, but I d on't know if it will work for my specific situation.

The other dimension that had me wondering is the length of the fence itself , listed at 37".

The depth of my top is 27" but I am assuming the 37" fence length includes the handle, the rail mount and the portion of the fence that extends off th e far end of the table. I think that that could easily make up the extra 10 ", but I'm not sure.

So, bottom line questions are these:

Can I adapt the Delta 36-T30 fence to fit my table?

If not, is there an option for an upgrade fence that will fit a "narrow tab le", i.e. a fence with a rail system that is only as long as this one?

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Doesn't the stock Craftsman fence have a "catch", on the far end, that gras ps something on the back of the saw's table?. The new Delta 36-T30 fence doesn't require a back side catching unit. It doesn't matter how long th e overall length, of the Delta fence, is. The Delta fence is only support ed by the front rail, need only to be supported by the front rail.

Or are you wondering if the new fence will attach, properly, to your front rail? If not, then maybe a proper Delta rail, Delta-type rail, can be ins talled onto your saw, in order to use the new fence. A new (front) rail m ight need to be a little heftier, than the present rail, since the fence wo uld be supported on/by the front rail, only.

Cutting the rail should do the trick, as long as you leave enough left-side length, for the new fence to be supported far-left enough, when the fence is near the blade. The rail on this saw -

A.jpg - would need to be farther to the left, in order to properly support the Delta fence, when the fence is nearest to the blade.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

asps something on the back of the saw's table?. The new Delta 36-T30 fenc e doesn't require a back side catching unit. It doesn't matter how long the overall length, of the Delta fence, is. The Delta fence is only suppo rted by the front rail, need only to be supported by the front rail.

Are you sure there is no back rail? I've d "The fence clamps securely to front tube and rear rail"

The images I find all look something like this:

t rail? If not, then maybe a proper Delta rail, Delta-type rail, can be i nstalled onto your saw, in order to use the new fence.

Per the ToolBarn website, the In-The-Box tab states that the fence package comes with the Fence and the Rail System:

One (1) T2 30" Fence and Rail System (36-T30)

Therefore, I was fully expecting to mount the Delta rail system on my saw. It's really a question of whether or not I can cut the rail so that it does n't extend beyond the left side of the table saw considering I have no exte nsion on that side.

il, since the fence would be supported on/by the front rail, only.

de length, for the new fence to be supported far-left enough, when the fenc e is near the blade.

5-A.jpg - would need to be farther to the left, in order to properly suppor t the Delta fence, when the fence is nearest to the blade.

Yes, I agree. The location of the rail in that "vintage" picture allows the stock fence to be supported all the way up to the blade and actually even over it. That's exactly how/where my rail is mounted. As far as I can tell there is more than enough table left to mount a longer rail, which would be required since the L-Bracket on the Delta fence is longer than the L-Brack et on the Craftsman stock fence.

So it's really just a question of whether the rail can be cut without being ruined and still be able to be mounted to the front edge of the saw.

I think I'd be OK, I just figured I'd get some opinions first.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Apparently there is a back rail, for that Delta fence, and there is a clamp , on the back end of the fence, to catch onto the back rail.

That back rail and back clamp is not obvious on the Toolbarn pic -

- so I thought the fence operates similarly as the Unifence or similar to a Biesem eyer fence (no back rail or back clamp).

Before cutting the Delta rails (and the tube, if you thought to cut the tub e, also), I would see if the present stock rails will work with the Delta f ence system. If so, cut the old stock rails and use them. You may want the longer Delta rails, later.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Do you not have a left side extension table, at all, or is it that you have one, but it is not installed on the saw?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I have the left side extension, but my shop is too small to install it. I'll explain more later (with pics) but right now we have to hit the road.

The college that Daughter #2 plays Ultimate (Frisbee Football) for is playing in a tournament at Daughter #1's college. With a single 350 mile round trip, SWMBO and I get to spend the weekend with both daughters, a rather rare occurrence.

Gotta go!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How cool is that? Spending a weekend with both of your daughters AND your money for one drive! Neat! ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Yep, that's what I understood in your first post. No need to explain the shop scenario.

RE: UC

your money for one drive! Neat! ;)

That IS cool! Have a good time.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Meeting two college kids he will be spending hes money for far more than just the drive too!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

At least part of today will be free. Daughter #1 works at the university so she got free tickets to the last home game of the Men's B-Ball team, inclu ding free food in the lounge for all staff and immediate family.

I think they just want to get butts in seats. The combined record of the 2 teams is 9 - 49.

BTW...sweet deal with her grad school job. She's in charge of all the RA's in one of the dorms. Her compensation is free room and board in a fully fu rnished 2 bedroom apartment. Not a dorm room, a real apartment in the dorm, separate entrance, "Private Residence" sign on the door. Her building was just built 2 years ago so everything is brand new.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As I remember there are lunches that include both daughter and several of their friends. Plus the cloths that they did not buy that they need, and the list goes on.

Enjoy them now. It seems like it is about 2 minutes from the time the are 2 until they are married with kids of their own.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Just got back from dinner. Only one extra friend, and it's friend from our hometown who drove down by herself so she could hang with a Daughter #2 - the one who is playing In the a Ultimate tournament. Luckily for my wallet, no extra college friends.

No clothes shopping, but Mom did take them grocery shopping.

The oldest of 4 is 28, the youngest (Daughter #2) will be 23 soon. Thing is, none of them have expressed a desire for kids. We know that that *may* change some day, but it's their lifes, not ours.

They are all doing great, I can't complain. In fact I'm extremely proud and thankful. Mom must have done something right. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03