Can I spray Helmspar?

I really like using Helmspar varnish for certain projects. I've always used the can version but see you can get it in a spray can version too. Bought a can and am happy with results. I was wondering, can I thin the can version and spray it instead of buying those spray cans? If so, what's the recommended thinner? Thanks in advance.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Jablonski

Hi Pete

Recommended thinner will be whatever the can calls for in the clean up instructions. If Helmspar is an oil based varnish I imagine it will be mineral spirits.

Two notes on spraying an oil based varnish.

No matter what equipment you use to spray with you will get some over spray and bounce back. An oil based varnish stays tacky for a comparatively long time, don't spray around anything you don't want to have to be scraping little beads of varnish off of.

Unlike shellac or lacquer varnish does not have a solvent. In other words you will not be able to spray something through the gun to get rid of any cured varnish. DO NOT let varnish sit in the gun and clean it immediately after spraying if the gun has to sit for even a short period of time. Should you fail to do so and end up with cured varnish in the gun you will be chipping it out. This is not a good thing for the gun.

Reply to
Mike G