Can I hang cabinets from metal studs?

I should also mention that some of these walls are studded 12" OC.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Yep, everyone here should recognize that the skin spreads and sustains a load. Boats, cars, airplanes, all build on that principle.

That's why it's no longer a simple question of withdrawal force on a screw, because the load has been spread by that infinite fender washer called a wall skin to other screws, other studs.

Reply to
George

Metal studs for a house would be really expensive. A 20 gauge stud is about $6 each and load bearing walls might need them every 12" instead of

16" with wood.

They make finger jointed wood studs that are extremely consistent in size. I have no idea if they cost less than 20 gauge steel studs or not.

I would use metal for a house in a heartbeat if it was similiar in price and I could find a carpenter who has done it before on a house.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

At work, they add the plywood or 1x whatevers after the rock. Mark

Reply to
Mark