Can I enclose the back of my tablesaw, motor and all?

I have a Jet contractor table saw which I'd like to close off the back (I have a dust collector hooked to it). The magnet idea in another thread is a great idea, but I'm wondering if I can enclose the entire back including motor, so I don't have to screw with anything when I tilt the blade?

Can I do this without killing the motor in the long run?

Reply to
Larry Bud

I'm planning to do this to my Grizzly contractor saw. It will be part of a foldable outfeed table. My plan is to leave part of the back open, because you need air flow for dust collection. The opening will let the incoming clean air flow directly over the motor. (The rest of my saw is sealed very well.)

First I have to get a T-square style fence. My Shop Fox Original uses both front and rear rails, making it difficult to attach an outfeed table to the rear of the contractor saw.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Not familiar with the Original, does it clamp to the rear rail or just glide on it? Is the rear rail angle iron?

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

It has a roller and a clamp on the rear angle iron rail. The fence extends about 6" beyond the back of the saw, and the clamping mechanism at the back extends about 2 1/2" below the top of the table. Here's a picture.

's a nice, accurate fence but I want to get one without without a back rail so I can build my outfeed table. Make me an offer by email if you wish. Shipping would be from zip 20715 in the USA.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

:-) I wasn't asking to buy, more to offer a method & plans if it was like my PM64A, which just glides on the rear angle. I think your only option other than a new fence is a rolling storage unit, which in itself isn't a bad idea.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

Space is very limited in my one car garage shop. There are several advantages to a folding extension table vs. another roll around. (I already have to juggle space with 8 things on rollers, sanding table, table saw, router table, ... )

- Space when stowed. With the table folded down the saw would be only an inch or so "deeper."

- Leveling. My garage floor isn't very level. A roll around would need height adjusters on each corner. The folding extension table will be attached to the saw and the base and won't need to be leveled to be used.

- Dust collection. The extension table will enclose the motor. It will be vented, and will be an improvement over the piece of hardboard now covering about 1/2 of the opening at the back.

- Storage. Since space is limited, the folding extension table is just part of doing something like this with my table saw.

I'm also thinking of drop-in tools on the right side like this.
Someday ...

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde